Low compression after rebuild

rdmcavo

I did a rebuild on my 1986 marathon with the upper and lower rebuild kit from India. After about 1/2 tank of use with a 40:1 oil gas mix for break-in I'm measuring about 82 lbs. compression. I live at 6000 ft. altitude so I believe this is like 100 lbs at sea level. I would expect it to be at least 100 lbs at this altitude so I think the compression is low. The thing is, the cart runs great and starts great. Anybody have any Ideas?

Thanks Mc

rdmcavo

I did check it with throttle full open. I also went in to the catacombs and found my old compression gauge. I did a test with the old guage and got 105 lbs. Corrected for altitude that's about 125 - 130 lbs. I think this reading is more correct since the engine starts and runs so well.

Mc

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
125/130 is about where it needs to be
thumbup.gif

kogieblack

When you say "throttle fully open", are you referring to pressing the accelerator pedal all the way down? I only get 110 psi but I simply "baby" the pedal enough to turn the engine.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
yes.gif

golf cart engines are setup so the starter engages before the throttle opens, with no idle circuit the butterfly is completely closed. if it can't get air it won't show a true number.