Looking For Advice On Buying My First Golf Cart For Hunting

Gamecockfisher

Hey, I am a newbie, and I have to say y'all do some cool stuff to your golf carts. I'm looking for advice on buying my first golf cart. I never knew how extensive the world of golf carts was until I read this site. I am an avid outdoorsman, and do a lot of hunting. I'll use the golf cart for hunting in the woods. I have a lot of questions, and don't want to ask a bunch of rookie questions that have probably been asked a hundred times on here. If one of you wouldn't mind, could I email or call one of you to get some basics? I live in Columbia, SC, there are a lot of golf cart sales around here, but with my level of ignorance, I could be taken for a ride. I don't have unlimited funds and don't want to get ripped off. Thanks in advance.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

Don't worry about asking rookie questions. Feel free to ask and someone will have answers for you.

Gamecockfisher

I am interested in an electric golf cart I can use for hunting. I used to work on a golf course, so I am familiar with golf carts, but I don't know much. There are carts for sell around here between 3-4grand with 6" lifts off road tires, etc. But I don't know what I need as far as motor, batteries, how hard is mounting a winch... Could I buy an older cart and build it up myself or would it be better to get one already built? I got no idea what I am doing, any advice would be more than appreciated. I like the idea of quiet travel with no fumes for deer hunting. I could put a bed on the back and put a heater in it when it turns cold. Sounds like the way to go to me, you guys got if figured out.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
If your handy with repairin' stuff and like doin' your own thing i'd say buy a good later model stock cart and build it into something that fits your needs. different voltage, motors and controllers are better for certain units. there are more than one member here that can point ya to the best combo and where to get it :twocents: :usa:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
For a hunting cart I'd recommend a EZGO TXT Series cart. If you go with buying a stock one and doing it yourself buy a good lift kit/tires and do these upgrades first. :twocents:

1 - Replace all 6 gauge cables with 4 gauge welding cable.
2 - HD Forward and Reverse switch. (you can buy the complete switch or just add HD buss bars and new contacts to the original)
3 - White Rodgers 586 Solenoid.

After doing those upgrades try the cart and see if it has the power and torque you need. If not then the next step would be a Alltrax controller. If your still not happy then go with a motor upgrade. You'll need to do the first upgrades I mentioned either way so I always recommend doing them first.

Both of my EZGO TXT's (SERIES) have 6" lifts with 23" tires and upgrades 1,2 and 3 with stock motor and controller and I have yet to find a hill I can't climb. My carts arn't fast but they get me where I need to go...

Gamecockfisher

so how much are those upgrades? I think a lot of the carts I see here are stock, that have been lifted. Is it better to buy new than used? I worry about buying one, then having to get batteries, motor etc. This is a whole new world for me, I am completely ignorant.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
To do 1,2 and 3 your looking at about $200-$250 if you use the original f/r switch and upgrade it yourself.

If it was me I wouldn't buy a new cart and do these upgrades. If your going to buy a new one buy it all ready to go. Or find a good used cart with the upgrades already done, or used stock and do it all yourself. Do you have ny cart dealers near you. If you do get some prices on stock and one that's already got the upgrades and post that info here. We'll let you know if its a good deal.

Where are you located?

Gamecockfisher

I am in Columbia, SC.
I hunt like a madman, and electric UTV's are all the rage. I think the ones that they are producing are waaayyyyy overrated/overpriced. A guy at my huntclub got stuck in his Polaris EV the other day when it overheated, he paid 13g's for it.
When I saw what you guys were doing on this site, that really got my attention. You guys have built some cool carts.

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
If you want to get your hands dirty and are "crafty" do it yourself... If not you should be able to buy a golf cart already modified... The choice is between you and your pocketbook... Do it yourself is sometimes cheaper... though not always... :twocents: