Live Axle

Wondering if anybody has ever put a live axle on a ez-go gas. With better traction I could plow snow with this thing and save my wife from doing it. If so how is it done ???

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I believe I've seen kits for that. The old fashioned cheap way is to weld the side gears, but, then you'll get an argument when cornering.

But, I have to ask, why would you not want your wife to plow the snow ! I would have really really liked mine to have done that. [smiley face]

I guess I am over reacting, I did buy her a snow shovel. what more could she want.??? I have changed my mind, I watched on u-tube a guy was putting a positrtaction unit in his ez-go, he just placed a block with springs in it between the spiders. Looked very easy, now to find where he bought the spring unit. Here in Idaho this year would be a good year to have a snow plow, it snowed for a week here at my house. We bought two bags of ice melt just to get out the driveway.:rotflmao:

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I had to think back about what a snow shovel looked like, haven't been near snow in quite a few years now. I've heard there is supposed to be blizzard conditions back home. I hope it melts by May.

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Not sure but I think the spring block will only work in the electric ezgo. I’d be interested if anyone knows if one is available for my 99 Workhorse.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I've seen limited-slip kits for sale, can't remember where or just which models they/it fit. I considered one, but, don't really need it. The memory isn't what it used to be. I can now hide my own Easter eggs.

classycarts

Cartaholic
I've welded the side gear in an old Ezgo Marathon. It was a offroad cart. It was awesome and could go just about anywhere.

Now I have also mounted a lawn tractor plow on a couple carts I owned. One gas and one electric. Both carts had a cargo bed where I could fill with firewood for added weight. But I was surprised on how well they pushed snow just by adding a little weight on the back. No need for a posi rear axle. Just some good traction tires and some weight.

The electric cart worked best for this since you can just flip the switch for forward to reverse. Gas cart, as you know, would have to wait and let the engine stop to switch transaxle forward/reverse. JMO

Guitarman, you are right, I found them but for an electric cart. there is one for a gas cart but it is the complete rear end and looks a little spendy. Back to the drawing board.

Classycarts, how was the cart for turning, as a hunting cart it will be driven on narrow trails and off trail and needs to turn sharply. I would hate to run off one of Idaho's cliffs.

classycarts

Cartaholic
It had some "push" so it didnt turn as sharp as a stock cart. Didn't tear up the grass like I thought it would turning around in the grass yard at the campground.
But I didn't think it was that bad, never had any issues where I rode, but I didnt have to worry about any cliff's.

These were the tires I had on the cart.

golf-cart-tires.jpg

Ok, I welded up the winch platform and put it on the spare axle and I welded a tow bar for the back. Nether one have been installed just waiting for better weather. We had a canopy over the cart but the last snow storm was very wet and took it down. Come on spring !!!