Little help for a new guy

jmac

hello all.I have done a little reading,and this seems to be a realy nice site,lots of good info on here.

Let me start out by saying I'm new to golf carts.
Any way I got a good deal on this ez go.Its a single cyc gas 2stroke, 4" jakes lift,keystone hub caps.Pretty good shape for the age I think.The guy told me it was a 89(but how can I tell?)The serial # is 48950 and HO 888 I can't find any #'s on the engine.
It starts easy but at part throttle it cuts out and backfires,but if you stand on it it runs fine.It has no govener so it moves pretty good and requires alot of part throttle.It does seem to have a sweet spot where it does not do this,but its hard to hit all the time.Any Ideas where to start.And any thoughts on the year and engine type.Thanks in advance.

shadowman

since the gov. is gone start by checking compression and them maybe loosen up the exhaust and get a gap in there and run it see if the roughness goes away......could be just the start of clogged exhaust ( could be ).......................................
cool.gif

jmac

It realy runs pretty good.Its amost like you turn it on and off,and you get the backfire.After a little more reading,I think the throttle cable may be to tight,could that do it?

jmac

biggrin.gif
I adjusted the throttle cable,and that switch thing thats also on the throttle cable,and bingo.No more backfire
thumbup.gif

It does have a slight hesitation when slowing to almost a stop,and then you step back down.Maybe I'm just to picky.

Does anybody know what the air/fuel screw should be set at.Or any other adjustments that might help.I belive the carb just needs a little tweeking.

jmac

One more question,well maybe a few.I pulled the plug and it looked a bit rich.The plug was a bh9e thats not what should be in there is it?Also what should the oil/fuel mixture be(40:1,50:1)?I mixed the last tank pretty heavy,just wondered if that could be part of why the plug looked rich.