Lithium Ion Mini Pack Battery

hiway44

I know there has been much said about Lithium batteries. Can somebody lead me to a web site where I can by the nissan leaf and charger . Looking to upgrade since I have two bad trojan batteries.

thank you

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's a link to a Nissan Leaf Lithium Ion conversion thread. Somewhere in the thread there's information on where he bought the Lithium Ion Batteries. I believe they were bough from a seller on ebay.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
That's where I got mine off of eBay they were in California I bought the individual modules and it came with all the hardware to make a pack out of them I got two packs

hiway44

Hi Diode,
Did you add your own BMS or use the one that came with the kit ? How is your install running? I purchased the 2 pack kit with everything including the charger. Waiting to install, but checking a few other post after making the purchase has me a little concern.. Some post states that the pre config kits are not up to par for a golf cart? Any help or advise. thanks

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Mine are still sitting on the bench I would try one pack if that doesn't cut it then you can put the second pack in parallel

hiway44

Hi all,
I just received my 2 packs and anderson y cable from Bbattery. I have not installed yet and have a few question. After researching another forum sit (no names), they suggest the packs as wired by bbattery are not setup for a golf cart as they advertise? Wow!

Several members have changed the pc board and went with the busbars. The amps that each pack is being restricted by the bms.

I wish I had known all this prior to buying the kit. I could had saved about 200.00 if all is true.

Pat911

Cartaholic
The lights will work wired across two batteries but it is definitely not recommended for lithium batteries. The pack will quickly become unbalanced and the balance function on the BMS is only designed to correct small balance errors. it will not be able to bring the pack back into balance in one charge cycle. On the next discharge cycle, the pack will become even further out of balance.

Since the BMS is designed to protect the pack, it will shut down power if any one cell becomes discharged, therefore, your total pack capacity is only as good as the charge held in the least charged cell. Your aH pack rating will diminish with every charge/discharge cycle. Eventually, you will get to the point where the 2 modules (4 cells) become totally discharged while the other 5 modules (10 cells) remain almost fully charged.

You will think that your pack is no longer holding charge, when in fact it is the BMS that is protecting the cells from over charge and over discharge. The pack can be restored by charging the 4 discharged cells back to the same level as the 10 charged cells.

A 48v to 12v converter is a MUST with a lithium pack. You can use a second battery but a converter is much more convenient.

Cheers
Pat.

Bbaker

Thanks Pat. I have a 2017 precedent. Is there a factory 16 to 12 volt I need to disconnect? So all I need to do is connect the blue wire that was directly to the battery for 16 volts to the output from a converter?

Pat911

Cartaholic
Hi Bbaker,

My long post above seems to come out of left field but I was replying to a now deleted post that suggested you connect your lights to two of the Leaf modules.

There won’t be a converter, your lights would have been running directly off 16v. You will need to purchase a 48v-12v converter and connect the input to it to from the battery pack 48v and the output to the blue wire. Make sure that the BMS is able to disconnect the converter on a low voltage condition.

Sorry, but without much more specific information about the BMS and its wiring that’s all the help I can provide.

Cheers
Pat.

Pat911

Cartaholic
No problem. If you run into any issues or have further questions then maybe you can describe your installation or post pictures so that I can see what you have.

Cheers
Pat.