Lifted Hyundai With Big Tires

1Skull

New member here and wanted to attempt posting a picture of this "new-to-me" cart. So far, I've only pressure washed the driveline and changed the oil in the Suzuki engine. My question is: how complicated would it be to convert the engine to a conventional key start with pedal operated throttle? Has anyone done this?

Attachments

• Cart 1.jpeg
    Cart 1.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Cart 2.jpeg
    Cart 2.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 6

1Skull

As for the traditional key ignition / standard throttle....I was only considering this because my cart goes wide open throttle, as soon as it starts. Something with the carb or throttle cable is not right. The guy I bought it from said it's been that way "for awhile". Haven't had time to do any deep troubleshooting yet, but I'll update what I find.

Zman

Cartaholic
Check the throttle plate inside carburetor, I'll bet it is missing. Sometimes a Yamaha carb will interchange and you can replace it. Send a pic of carb.

1Skull

I'll post a pic of the carb in a day or two. Another thing I'm wondering...will Yamaha seat covers fit this? It's a '92 model.

1Skull

UPDATE: As far as the "wide open throttle" condition....the throttle plate was in place, as well as the choke plate. The problem was the throttle cable was seized up in the Too-the-floor position, from water intrusion into the cable. After disconnecting it, the throttle plate popped to the idle position and the RPM's were slow and steady. Cable was removed and I have it soaking in Airo-Kroil penetrant. If it's not salvageable, I'll start shopping for a Yamaha cable of equal length. Something I noticed while removing the throttle cable: an additional cable-operated linkage that enters the top of the gearbox. The cable was not connected, so I'm wondering what it's function is? It's not the fwd/rev feature (that works)...maybe a locker? Anyone know?

1Skull

UPDATE #2: I was at O'Rielly Auto Parts today and was shocked that they have several wear items for the Hyundai golf carts. Their database shows them up to year model 1991, which looks like what I have. They had the direct fit Gates drive belt, for that specific cart, which was not what I had on it. It's labeled XL 9319 and size of 1/2" x 32 3/8". It's smaller than what I took off, but I'll test fit it and see how it goes. The old one I took off was loose enough to slip off the back pulley with one hand.

1Skull

UPDATE 3: Today, I installed a new throttle cable (Amazon @$28), new air filter (Amazon $16) and put the old drive belt back on. I returned what O'Reilly said was the correct one (it was WAY too small). New throttle cable took care of the "wide open throttle" condition and is now quite responsive with predictable engine RPM control. I'm suspecting the linkage / cable retention bracket, mounted on top of the drive gearbox, was part of a governor mechanism that had been disconnected. O'Reilly measured the old drive belt and has it matched to a Gates product. I'll install that, when it arrives. Till then, I can actually putt around the yard!!