License Plate Light

Rogerb88

Hello again, I have another problem that should be easy to resolve but it is driving me crazy. The rear lights have 3 wires, one white ,one black and one red. the way I see it one should be for brake light, one for turn signal and one for the lights. I need to find the one that only has power when u turn the lights on. 2 of the wires have constant power and the other doesn't seem to have any. I cant get it to light up. I have tried to splice into all the wires one at a time and cant get anything to work. I don't know where to go next.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The brake lights and turn signals should use the same wire. The tail lights will be the second wire and the third wire would be the ground. You would want to use the tail light wire for the license plate light.

Rogerb88

I agree just can’t seem to get it to work. I have the volt meter hooked up to red and black. When l turn on the lights the meter reads 12.58 and when I shut it off the meter goes to zero. I then hook the meter to the red and white I get the same results. When I hook up the license plate light to the red wire it stays on when the lights are off but when I turn on the lights it goes off. Through the meter I am pretty sure the black wire is the brake/ turn signal wire. Still confused

Rogerb88

The wires in order are red, black and white. I also for got to mention that the license plate light is a single wire light and the only way to get it to work is off of one of the negative post on a battery. I can’t seem to find a good ground on the frame. This is an ez go RXV 48 volt with 4 12 volt batteries. Just want to make sure I put out all info.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check the voltage back by the tail lights and you should be able to figure out which wire is for the tail lights and which wire is for the brake lights/turn signals. All of the lights and accessories should be grounded to a battery. If there's a fuse panel the grounding point may be located there.

Rogerb88

I used the meter at the tailight connection and believe the black wire to be the brake / turn signal wire. My reasoning is that I get 0 volts without doing anything and when I press the brake pedal I get 12 steady volts and when I turn on the turn signal the volts rotate between 0 and 12. I think the red wire is for the taillights but like I said the light works constantly with the light switch off but when I turn on the switch the light goes out.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Find the spot where the other lights and accessories are grounded and run your ground wire from the license plate light the same spot as the rest of the 12 volt accessories.

Rogerb88

Would it work if I put the ground wire from the license plate light to the ground wire in the tail light itself?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes it should work using the ground wire for the tail lights. I'd use the positive wire to the tail lights for the license plate light positive also.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
One lead of the voltmeter should be on a ground, then check the 3 wires to see which is which. As HRC previously said, the stop/turn are the same wire [ unless there are 2 separate bulbs, one for brake and one for turn, then there will a wire for each ]. The tail light should be one of the other 2 wires and the remaining wire may/probably be a ground.

Rogerb88

Thanks everyone for your help. I got it fixed by grounding the license plate light to the ground wire on the taillight. Red was taillights, black was brake / turn signal and white was ground. Never had to do that before. Just hooked up power wire to tail lights and grounded it to the frame. Learn something new every time I work on a golf cart. Thanks again.

Glen Batchelor

Yes, I dunno why they use white as ground and black as power on 12V accessory lighting but I noticed the same thing on the LED lighting I added to a recent project. Very confusing since it does not follow typical 12V harness color standards. :dazed:

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I know why because white and black is used most often in different applications and that makes it cheaper