Larger Tires on the Rear

gornoman

I've been thinking (there goes a few more Benjamins!), what if I wanted to put larger diameter tires on the rear axle? Probably 20" maximum, and it would need to be a street tread on the existing 10" wheels. I suppose they could be slightly wider as I have offset rims and no current rubbing issues.

Anyone ever seen such a tire size?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Gorno, Check out Discount Tire. They can get just about any tire. I'm sure they can find a 20" tire with a nice street tread pattern...

gornoman

Good idea HRC, I will stop by them soon.

Andy, I was looking for something a little less dramatic, LOL!

slim67

What is that thing? That looks like an awfully big electric motor on there. Is it being completed? Like to see that run. Maybe that will inspire me to go electric!

rhgc

gorno, I've put 20s on a few carts. the only issue you may have will be the tire rubbing on a turn. they don't rub going straight, but when you turn and the body of the cart rolls the tires rub. Heavy duty springs -4 leaf- will take a lot of the body roll out and if you need even more you can replace the shocks with an air shock.....and yes the 20s do look awesome!!

gornoman

rhgc,

The 20's would go on the rear axle only, so turning clearance isn't an issue. I am running HD springs all around, so I think it should work OK. My BIL has a lifted CC with 20's, I might borrow his for a test fit. His are off-road tires, but at least I can get an idea of the speed gain/torque loss.

JRay

Cartaholic
Gorno, i understand about low carts. Lift that thing a little and get it over with. :rotflmao:

gornoman

...and give away the excellent handling and acceleration? Join the evil cabal of lifted carts? You may as well suggest that I buy a gasser!

JRay

Cartaholic
Well i am going to look at an 08 gasser tomorrow, If i buy it i will get Wass to tweak it. :rotflmao:

gornoman

I think I'm going with the size tires 20.7" tall, 8.3" wide on the rear axle, and 18" tall, 8.0" wide on the front axle. Same tread pattern as I have now.