Lack of Torque

Offy

Thanks for letting me join your forum. I just bought an old beater to run around my country barn and surrounding woods. It's an old Club Car with an updated body. I bought it with bad batteries and just put in a set of new Crowns last night. I hooked it up and gave it an overnite charge and took it for a spin this morning, it has no torque. It is like starting off in high gear, very slow to pick up and little ability to climb hills. I have little knowledge of electric vehicles except for slot cars as a kid many years ago. It is like the controller is missing the lower end of the input. Do y'all have a place to point me?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics...

We're going to need a little more info on your cart. Look on the passanger side just under the glove box and post your serial number.

Offy

Thanks, I had to work on the plate to get it clear enough to try and decipher it. The best I can read is A8628100188. I talked to a friend who is familiar with carts and he gave me an elementry education on the electric systems. My neighbor came down on his Gator and we tested some of the electrics. The "gas" pedal wasn't contacting all of the 5 "micro " switchs so we made a longer rod for the pedal and got 'em all to kick in and fixed some shoddy electrical connections that we found. We have confirmed 36 volts through the battery system. There are (2) clicks at the solinoids as the pedal is depressed and the cart has more torque at the beginning of the throw and the torque decreases if the pedal is depressed further. The (2) solinoids closest to the passenger side test differently then the other two attatched to the resister coil. The are "open" (key off and selector in neutral) while the other two as well as the first (that is not connected to the coil) are closed. One thing that we observed is that the solinoids and bus bar show current with the key off unless the selector is in neutral.
The first three solinoids are taller than the final two but the bus bar looks to be original in appearance with an offset bend to accomodate the lower contacts on the shorter and newer appearing solinoids.
dazed053.gif

I appreciate your help
tip.gif
as it is difficult to transport the cart to civilization to have someone with knowledge to determine the problem. I should add that my terrain is not flat as Florida is thought to be as I am on a hill so "bottom end" is important to travel.

Offy

We have torque as well as speed now. I replaced (3) bad solenoids and we are now good to go. Two of the solenoids were 12 volts and wrong for the application and one correct 36V was bad. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor near the house in the city that has provided me with a good initial education on golf carts. I'm ridin' and smilin'.
tip.gif