Kawasaki V-Twin wiring/basic wiring

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Would some very smart person out there be able to help me with wiring my 27hp Kawasaki engine?
biggrin.gif

The engine didn't come with a key switch, but I have that all figured out with a universal key switch and the engine wiring diagram.

Here's where I need help. How do you wire accessories like lights?
Do you run a wire from the pos battery to the fuse block and then run everything off of that fuse block? So for example, there are 3 lights for the guages(temp, volt and oil pressure). How do you go about wiring them from the block to a switch?

Also, I have the engine set up with an electric fan for the radiator. How do I run that through a relay to reduce the load on the key switch?

Thank you

WALKNTALL

Hook everything up to the battery. You can get a fuse block or run inline fuses to everything. You will need a relay for the fan, don't forget a fuse. Also, don't put too much draw on the key switch circuit.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I was able to work on it this weekend and got it all wired up and ready to go. Earlier today I didn't have the radiator hoses or fuel lines hooked up yet but I just wanted to see if the starter and fan worked. They did so I continued on installing the radiator hoses and filling it up with coolant. After that I tried to fire it up. I let the electric fuel pump fill up the lines and carb then attempted to start the engine. It turned over good a few times but wouldn't fire. I try again with the choke and suddenly it quits turning over. Now everything is dead. I have the fan on a seperate switch and it won't even turn on.
All the fuses appear to be fine. I went over all the wires and none of them came loose. So I decided it must be a dead battery which is brand new. I tried jumping it but still nothing. Any ideas what could be wrong? Seems like there isn't that much to go wrong.
Biggest clue would be the fan right? Because it's on a seperate switch that goes straight to the battery. If that's not working it must be the battery I think. Please help!!! Thanks
cool.gif

matt75

im in need of a complete f/r switch for a fleet car and possibly a top for my cart if i decide not to make a cloth one.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I do have an extra top but shipping might be expensive. I may be able to get a switch for you. Let me check.

As for the electrical problem, it turned out to be a bad ground. I fixed that quick but now there is no spark. What would cause that and how can I test for it? Spark plugs look good by the way.

matt75

I THINK SO. I AM BUILDING ON A BUDGET [ BABY COMING] SO IM TRYING TO FIND GOOD USED STUFF. I JUST DONT HAVE A SOLID CONNECTION IN HOUSTON TO GO TO. I COULD GO BY ANY GOLF CAR SHOP HERE BUT IM AFRAID ILL GET TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BECAUSE OF MY LACK OF KNOWLAGE.
unsure.gif

WALKNTALL

Your sure there is no spark? You can pull the plug, reconnect the plug wire, lay the plug against a grounding surface(engine) crank it over and see if the plug fires. If there is no spark on either plug, I doubt you have 2 bad coils. You maybe looking at a wiring issue, wrong type of key switch or the ignition module is bad. Do you have a wiring diagram for this motor?

Frank

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Frank, I tried that and neither of them have spark. The key switch I have is a 4 post one that a tractor repair man told me to use. The stock key switch was a 5 post but they don't make those anymore for this model. He showed me on the wiring diagram where to run the wires to on the new key switch. Sounds like it's probably in the wiring, right?

matt75

MATT, THANKS FOR THE RESEARCH ON THE SWITCH. IF I CANT FIND ONE LOCAL THAT SUITS MY NEEDS ILL GET BACK WITH YOU.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I tried laying the plug on the engine again, this time with the lights off in the shop just to see if there is any sign of a spark. I saw one or two flickers but that's it.

Could there be a saftey switch causing the problem? I don't see any on the wiring diagram. Only wires not hooked up yet are for the oil, temp and charge lamps. Maybe there is a low oil sensor in there that won't let the engine fire with out the switches hooked up?

The service manual suggests to replace the spark plugs or ignition coil or flywheel if there is no spark. I hope its not the flywheel.

matt75

MAKE SURE THE PLUG IS GROUNDED GOOD. GET SOMEONE TO HOLD THE THREADED PART OF THE PLUG TO A GOOD GROUND WHILE YOU CRANK ON IT AND YOU SHOULD HAVE A BRIGHT WHITE OR BLUE COLORED SPARK AND IT SHOULD SPARK ONE TIME AFTER ANOTHER AS LONG AS YOUR CRANKING ON IT.

matt75

SORRY I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT SMALL ENGINE REPAIR
unsure.gif
. IF YOU WANTED TO DROP A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY IN IT I COULD HELP WITH THAT. HOPE ONE OF THE OTHER GUYS CAN HELP YOU HAMMER IT OUT
biggthumpup.gif