Kawasaki FJ400 Aftermarket Parts

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
I would think someone makes hop up or some kind of aftermarket parts for this engine ?
My Google Fu is weak.

08 Kawasaki fj400 EZgo 13hp OHV..

slim67

I had heard from a guy that they were pretty good right out of the box but Nubs is the engine guy here . Maybe he knows what's available. I've got some ideas like you but only with a :yamaha:

big mack

Cartaholic
I try to keep a fleet of 50 2012 EZGO RXV's running I can't find after market engine parts very easy. I have to go dealer and pay $$$$$$$$

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
This motor has alot less compression braking vs the ol flathead 341cc..
Checked valve lash and the IN was loose and the EX was over tight. Put it back to .004 and .006
Starts easier now but won't know till it gets nice and hot, before it had trouble cranking over, not sure if lash has anything to do with it or weak battery.

How are the carbs on these ?

big mack

Cartaholic
I have had fairly good luck with carbs only replaced 3 out of 50. These carts are 2012 in their 8th season on a busy municipal course. I tried cleaning the first time and ended up replacing it. dealer price over $200 I did find the last one on E Bay for $175. Still way to high you can buy about any other cart carb from $25 to$50. As far as compression I have spot checked carts every year and they still are 150 psi cold. I have checked valves but have never had to adjust any. I really do like this engine except the cost of parts. and the EZGO engineering. to remove the fly wheel cover cut a notch in the skid plate to remove the 2 bottom bolts to get access to the spark ignitor. And few other things that make it difficult. Have you checked your charging system? Could be your voltage regulator is bad. I have changed out a few of these. Not fun either. Charge up your battery and load test. I check the voltage reg by hooking a multi meter set to 20v dc to the battery with engine running should read 14 to 14.5 volts. Next thing to check is starter brushes. I have replaced all of them in 2016 now I am starting to replace them again. These brushes are around $50 here we go again.:naughty::naughty:

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
It reads 14v+ and starter/generator Has very little time on it.
The battery us old. I'll try and find a compression gauge to use.
Right now I'm still using the 91 club car ds VR.. would it be ok to swap out to a newer sealed solid state unit ?

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
How is my VR different than that of an old truck ? Or is it even different ?
I mean the solenoid shoots power the the Starter/Generator to spin over till the motor cranks up, then switches over to take a charge, is that all it does or does it actually keep the high/low voltage at an even 12v ?
I know alot about motors and such, but never knew how these work.
And also the solenoid.. only thing different is it's a 100% duty type or is it just an automotive type ?EL107-1.jpg

big mack

Cartaholic
that is what most of the old carts use it does regulate the voltage to max 14.5 volts less and the battery goes dead. It could be the same thing found on old cars and trucks I never tried one but I bet it would work. I have used a ford coil on a Harley golf cart worked fine. Your voltage reg is doing what it should so I wouldn't worry about. You know the old saying If It ain't broke don't fix it. All I know about solenoid is they com in 12v 36v and 48v but some 48v carts use a heavy duty 36v. Don't make sense to me but it works. so have fun and keep testing your brain, I do every day :cool:

big mack

Cartaholic
By the way the RXV and later TXT VR has a little square alum box with 3 wires coming out it. I don't know if one of these would work on the older carts. Be good to know sense the old VR is getting higher priced.

big mack

Cartaholic
what is the plug? look good to me but I would replace it anyway. as far as your comment about using a cycle carb just spend the bucks and get one made for it if it really needs one. don't remember the correct plug for the fj400 think it's NGK BPR2ES these engines are picky about there spark

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
That's a BPR5ES and is fairly new, I just wanted to see how it was burning, looks about right to me, not real ashy or black and sooty..
And I was asking about a bike carb as most are better than most cart types (I think)
Nothing wrong with mine.. I'm happy with it, but you know how some of us are, we gotta tinker with shnit. Lol

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Ive been wanting to add an oil cooler on it.
Seems the best way is a sandwich adapter under the oil filter, I'd need to know what size and thread size the filter is or I have no idea the correct one to get.
Anyone have Any Idea ?
Seen one on a Preditor V-TWIN today and was like That's IT.. That's what I'm wanting.