Kawasaki Crankshaft

allis

I pulled a Kawasaki engine out of a EZGO MPT1200 and found that the gear on the crank had moved. I sent it to a machine shop to press off the gear and re-time it but they said that I would have to buy a new crank with gear. Is this true that you cannot re-time the crank to the balance shaft and I will have to buy a new crank? any help would be appreciated, allis

allis

You are right for I know he will have the answer. I know the gear moved on the crank for the counter balance gear and shaft is one piece. Thanks for you help

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The sad fact is the shop is right, there is no locating key or pin. There pressed on in a fixture at the factory, the fact it moved tells me that there is something wrong with diameter of the shaft or gear.

allis

When I got the engine it was locked up so I pulled the engine and after getting it on the bench I was able to turn the crank a little. After pulling the cam I found the counter balance shaft was froze in the back bore. I do not know what happened for the engine oil was clean and nothing in the bottom of the crankcase. They probably added oil after the fact. Thanks everybody for your input so if they decide to fix it I will have to get a new crank.