Just Bought a Harley Golf Cart

frenchyspeed

Hey everyone, I just bought a 3 wheel HD cart it cost me $50.00. can someone give me some guidance on what to do first to get this beast running? It has been sitting for awhile.

Gonzo

Tennessee Squire
Welcome to the forum. I think you should start by telling us about the cart. Is it electric or gas? What have you done so far? Always remember, pictures help.

Gonzo

frenchyspeed

Hey Gonzo
Thanks for responding, I will try to add some pics, the cart is a three wheeled gas powered cart. so far all I did was travidson then itiler it to the shop pop the belt off the starter and threw juice to it to see if there was any life in the starter. I am going to throw some oil or something down the cylinder to make sure its lubed up good. I was told the plate on the frame next to left rear tire wil tell me something about the year. I was also told if the name plates say AMF Harley Davideson then its an older on, if it just says Harley Davidson then its new (closer to the time harley sold them out). It should be a fun project for my kid to mess with so we have it for our car swap meets. Since I work for Harley I just had to buy it. If it doesnt run I'll build a Vtwin for it haha.

Gonzo

Tennessee Squire
If your cart was made in the '60s, the first two numbers designate the year and the next letter(s) designate the model as in this example:

64DC800025

This VIN would indicate that the cart was made in '64 and is a model DC

If your cart was made in the '70s or '80s, it will follow this format:

3B12234 H4

This VIN indicates it was made by Harley Davidson in '74 (H4) and is a model D (3B).
1982 was the LAST year that Harley Davidson produced a golf cart.

MANUFACTURE & YEAR

The letter H (made in the '70s) or J (made in the '80s) indicates the cart was manufactured by Harley Davidson

The letter C (made in the '80s) or D (made in the '90s) designates Columbia as the manufacture.

The last number indicates the year of the decade.

H7='77
J1='81
C4='84

GAS MODELS '63 to '81
3B=D
5B=DC
7C=D4
3K=CLASSIC

'82 to '83
3B=D3
5K=DX4

'84 to '85
3B=G3
5K=G4
7K=U4

snupee

Hello Gonzo..!! i am new on this site,and found your last post with info for s.n. i.d. interesting.
here is the serial # from my Harley Cart..3B-16867-H5... what year would that be?? lol...thnx in advance for any input you might have.
tip.gif

Gonzo

Tennessee Squire
H5 indicates is a 1975 Harley and is a model D (3B)

Stock is nice, but i'm sure an 883 would fit just fine.

snupee

Hi again Gonzo... t.y. for that info...hmmm??? and i already went ahead and posted that i needed a wiring diagram for a 67/68 model...which you also helped me with. as i said ...i am new here ..and i am not clear on how to find the resourse
section for harley carts...can you help me out there?? sorry i am such a newbie..
sad.gif

Gonzo

Tennessee Squire
On the main page under Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting click on Other Manufacturers then click on Other Manufacturers Resources