JL's Traction Control System

Grizzley

First off let me say that I have waited for this product for some time and I am excited to be able to try this item out. I just received the package today and after a little garage cleaning I hope to install this little package.
I was a tiny bit upset today when the UPS guy brought a small box to my door, I thought Brett(BU's Salesperson) had been wrong about the TCS being in stock and all that I was getting was the seal that I had ordered along with the TCS. The box was probably 7X7X7 inches. It might have weighed 2 pounds. I opened it and found a TCS and my seal. I thought wow thats a lot of money for such a small item. But if it does what it says it will do, it will be worth it.

Grizzley

I have run into a small snag, I got this far and...Then I did this..
Those friggin little fiber clutch discs are BRITTLE!!! BU tells you to gently squeeze them in with a vise or a press, but this is friggin rediculous. They should tell you to be VERY gentle because they will snap in a heartbeat. And they should include an extra one just for idiots like me. I cant describe the feeling that came over me when I heard that little thing pop. Now it will probably be Monday before I can order another, if they have them. thud-thud-thud(sound of grizz beating head against monitor)

gornoman

Sorry it didn't go well, hopefully BU can help you out with a replacement. It will be interesting to learn how they handle your issue. We all eppreciate the fact that you are blazing this particular trail. Keep us informed of your progress. Hopefully you will achieve your goal with fewer problems so that others (us) can learn the proper technique.

Grizzley

I finally received my clutch disc today. It was a little over 17 bucks for two of them shipped and after getting the daily chores(honeydos) finished, I finished installing the TCS. You must really be careful with these clutch discs and make sure that you apply pressure to them evenly when pressing them in the TCS case. I was sweating bullets until I completly seated mine. After that, assembly was a snap. I do wish that BU would include a small bottle or packet of loc-tite with the kit.
First off I want to say that I really cant give this product a complete review just yet, because I didnt put it through all of the situations that I want to. I dont know if the clutches take time to seat or saturate with the rearend grease, but its not really what I expected. It does help with the traction but as of tonight not as much as I had hoped. At the moment I would rate the TCS a 5 out of 10. Again I cant really give a full review YET. But with the rear of the cart jacked up
and both wheels off the ground I can still spin one tire forward and a buddy can spin the other tire backward easily. But when one wheel is spun(by hand) at a time the other follows in the same direction. Tonight I could tell a small difference in the climbing ability and cornering. I am taking in consideration that I am pulling 25 inch tires which are 11 1/2 inches wide. It probably would do better if I had the 22s on it. When you get it in a bind with all the weight on one side it will still just spin the one tire with the least traction easily. BU does have a section on this in the instructions called TORQUE BRAKING. It didnt work for me but I may not have my brakes adjusted properly. I did expect this to be better though. Maybe in a couple of days after tweaking a few things I can give a better report. Tomorrow if weather permits I will put it through its paces and take pictures and let you guys see what I am talking about. I may be very proud of this TCS in a few days, but as of right now im a little dissapointed.
Gregg

Grizzley

I am a little more pleased with the TCS today. It does help in traction, and in some pretty hairy situations it seems to do the job. I still think the price is a little high. But as in all new products, as the demand slows down, the price will fall. All in all, I guess I give it a weak 7 out of 10 just because of its price. I would like to see this product at around 149.99 + shipping. I have a few pics of where we put it today. Thats not me driving, thats my neighbor and co-builder Stacy(lab rat) lol
By the way, together we weigh over 700 pounds and the cart has no problem taking both our asses to the top of the hill.

gornoman

Looks like a solid 8 to me!

That's a great wheelspin shot! Glad you got it together. Have you tried any tight turns on dry pavement?

Grizzley

Thanks, yeah you really cant even tell that its got the TCS on the pavement. Turns about the same without power. Its a little fussy on a powered turn, kinda makes for a wider turn. That makes it fun in the mud though. But under full power in a real tight turn one wheel will still spin.(Tryin a doughnut) Especially if you are under the steering wheel and turn the cart to the right. Its definately not a positrac unit.
Gregg

Tha_Rooster

Advanced Member
Looks like you had fun testing it out though. I want to also give it a shot but I am hoping of a price decrease first.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Grizzley,

I was curious as to how the TCS has been holding up for you and your thoughts on it now that you've had it a while???

spriddle

Post Decoder
I was curious as to how the TCS has been holding up for you and your thoughts on it now that you've had it a while???
I am interested in this info. also.

Grizzley

You can tell quite a difference in the traction now as opposed to when we first put it in. I dont know if the discs needed to saturate or if its just me, but I would prolly give it an 8 out of 10. At a lower price of 149.99( like BU would ever drop the price!) I would give it a 10 out of 10. Its not a Locker but it does help. And with the brake-feather-torque-technique thing it will climb and continue over a 12x10 wooden block placed in front of one back tire. When I get the body put back on(painting again), I will take some pics of this demonstration and post them, if you guys want.
Thanks, Gregg

fastjim11

Videos....we want videos
tongue.gif

Never having one of these apart, I'm just throwing this out there causing trouble.

If you're looking for total traction, could you just weld the diff up to make it a full-lock rearend?

Grizzley

I've been thinking about that. Everybody says that it wont turn if I do that. But it seems to me that if a Polaris Trailboss 250 that has a shorter wheel base with posi-trac turns great, then a golf cart that is posi would turn just as good. I think all of us should have a discussion on this matter. The only draw back that I can think of, would be the way to go about doing this and maintaining axle strength. If I had another axle I guarantee you that I would try it.
Gregg

Fairlane

I installed 3 of them about a year ago and we put them in some rough terain here in the desert and mtns and all 3 are holding up really well. Just my $.02 worth

Glen