ITS 3 Wire

Mattoxh

The fact that it is moving although slow is a plus in my mind. I am sure you checked and the batteries are charged to 48+ V. An easy check first would be the speed sensor which is located at the end of the motor rear of cart. You may have to raise the cart which may not be a bad idea anyway to allow wheels to move freely. The speed sensor is a small black cap held on by 2 screws, the screws should be snug and the cap not moving in and out. There are two wires that go to the controller. Make sure the wires are in good shape, I would check for continuity even if you have to pierce the wires. There is a way to check the sensor but I did not have much luck doing so. The Curtis manual Has a trouble shooting flow chart that may be helpful just remember RnT did not follow the wiring on some of the pins specifically the ITS wiring. I am attaching a schematic that was sent to me. It was prepared by another RnT owner. Check out the Ruff and Tuff Electric Vehicles page on FB and ask to join. Keep us posted on your progress. By the way I changed to a 2 wire ITS and my 1-2 error went away.

ruff-n-tuff-wiring-diagram.jpg

dalaux

Yes, I have 51+ volts on the battery pack and have replaced the speed sensor on the back of the motor. The disc magnet did have a hairline crack but was still intact. The replacement made no difference. Even put my old sensor back on with new magnet just to help eliminate possibility of a bad new sensor or wrong replacement even though they looked identical and fit perfectly. I also forgot to add that the speedometer quit working years ago but cart ran fine for years without it, so don’t think it is related. I have ordered the new ITS (3wire) from NOCOEV since it is fairly inexpensive, just hope it doesn’t take too long to get. That is by far the BEST wiring diagram I have seen yet, thanks to whoever drafted it.

Mattoxh

Unfortunately sometimes you just have to throw parts at it. I guess you checked the microswitch in the ITS Box. The diagram is very good. I guess it is the only one that exist. Keep posting.

dalaux

I have tested the micro switch, will update after the new ITS goes in. Could be a long boat ride from Shanghai these days.

Mattoxh

You need to start chasing the voltage. Do you have 48 V Or more at the micro switch? Do you have voltage leaving the ITS it should increase as you press the accelerator. Locate the outlet wires on the ITS and make sure you have continuity where they connect at the controller.

dalaux

Passed all those tests. I’m still not real clear on the walkaway feature. The 5-4 code identifies that as the culprit. I understand the concept and it kinda makes sense that if it could be “stuck on” which would then cause a creep speed due to the limited current going to the motor intended to keep it from free rolling out of control. However, I can push the cart with no resistance. If the key is on and f/r in forward, I hear a click from the smaller solenoid when you manually push the cart. This would lead me to believe the solenoid is working. I guess the contacts could be not fully disengaging and arcing just enough to cause a misread at the controller? I’m not real sure what that smaller solenoid controls...back to the wire schematic to trace it back.

Mattoxh

I am not sure about the walk away either I would like to turn mine off to see what happens but I have not tried it yet. The purpose is to stop the cart if it starts rolling. I don’t think you be able to push the cart. Have you considered joining the Facebook Page Ruff &Tuff Electric Vehicles. I may have already mentioned.

dalaux

I’ve heard of the Facebook page but I’m not on Facebook. May have to now, just always figured I had enough ways to waste time or get myself in trouble. 🤪

dalaux

Any chance this could be a simple motor brush issue? My wife has sent a request to join the fb group also.

dalaux

Haven’t actually checked power at motor yet. Just haven’t seen any posts anywhere about motor brushes so not sure of the expected service life. I’m no motor or electronics guru but do have some “shade tree” experience and know they are “wearable” parts. What is the best way to test at motor? And expected readings?

Mattoxh

I googled it here is one of many sites. Be safe and jack up rear and get the wheels off the ground.

Sooner1

Hello. I’m a new member on this board and am working on a friend’s RuffnTuff. I believe it’s an ‘08 or ‘09 2 wheel drive Workman model with a Curtis 1268 controller. I need some help in the worst way.

The cart has 6 new 8v 165 AH flooded lead-acid batteries but it will only run at 5 mph. I’ve checked everything I can think of but haven’t found what the problem is.

The double-speed switch in the glove compartment is okay. In the “on” position, it sends 49v to pin 20 on the J1 plug – in the “off” position, zero volts.

I suspect that the speed sensor may be the problem. I measure 14.1v on pin 6 of the J2 plug at stop and 13.9v when the accelerator pedal is depressed. On pin 5, I measure 4.9 at stop and 2.3 when the pedal is depressed. The voltage doesn’t gradually change when I depress the accelerator pedal. I found when I unplug the J2 plug, the cart still runs at 5 mph. I wonder if the voltage should increase as I press the accelerator?

The 3-wire Induction Throttle Sensor (ITS) seems to be working. The voltage changes on the output when I press on the accelerator pedal.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where else to look for the problem? Should I replace the speed sensor?

Dalaux, I also have the 54 error code indicating a problem with the Walkaway feature. I disassembled the small solenoid and found some corroded connections. I cleaned the connections, reinstalled it but it made no difference in how the cart runs. I notice that the solenoid has an internal diode. I wonder if my diode may be bad? If anyone figures out how to turn off this feature, I'd like to know.

Final note, I greatly appreciate the RuffnTuff service info that has been posted on this board. It’s been a big help to me. And, a big thank you to the guys who posted links for the Curtis 1268 manual.

Mattoxh

Sounds like the speed sensor to me. There is a face book site Ruff &Tuff Electric Vehicles. Ask to be a member and post the question.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
should have the manual on my website manuals or schematics top of page in red

Sooner1

Has anyone used a Club Car speed sensor as a replacement for a Ruff & Tuff speed sensor? The configuration of the Club Car sensor appears to be identical to the Ruff & Tuff sensor. The only thing to change would be the plug. The color code of the wires appears to be the same

Someone on Ebay has a Club Car speed sensor with magnet for $15.99 with free shipping.