ITS 3 Wire

Mattoxh

Can someone post a picture or sketch of the 3 wire. The pot on my cart has 2 terminals on one end close together and the 3rd on the other end. Which terminal is number 1. I have several questions. Which of the three terminal has voltage and how much voltage. I will post additions questions if these are answered. Thank you and appreciate all responses.

Mattoxh

Thanks but I figured it out. See file attached . Why is it so hard to get help with a Ruff & Tuff? I will gladly share what I have if anyone needs it.

Attachments

• ED936243-49EC-4CE9-B131-3EC3BC4812D6.jpeg
    ED936243-49EC-4CE9-B131-3EC3BC4812D6.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 111

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Not a lot of people have Ruff & Tuff carts there was a lot of problems with them. I've heard they are built better after they sold out.

Mattoxh

I have had one a few years they were manufactured in my home town until they went out of business. I would like to rewire mine like an EzGo. i am a little
Concerned that I could damage the controller if I alter too much. I just don’t understand why no one wants to even discuss them or even offer assistance. It’s not just this site it is most all of them. I have learned a lot by trial and error. I hope to pick up a handheld device for programming and trouble shooting. Thanks for the reply. Have a great Holiday.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Not many people know much about them and information is pretty limited. There's a couple guys on the forum that have a lot of knowledge with Ruff & Tuff carts but they're not on the forum much any more.

Mattoxh

You are probably correct. The technician that has been working on it has one and it really never pinpointed anything the only thing he did was change some parameters. I have a 1-2 throttle fault that I can’t clear. I also would like to get rid of the walk away relay and make it have smoother acceleration and stopping. If I could rewire like an ezgo I believ it would be easier to keep in running. Thanks for any and all help. Happy Memorial Day

Mattoxh

I spent an hour on the phone with Curtis Tech support. He agreed that I should be able to change to a 2 Wire Inductive Throttle Sensor. He walked me through the process. Here is what I did. Removed the old ITS and replaced it with a 2 wire. And Instead of receiving pack voltage from the Key Switch I connected the input terminal on the ITS TO Pin 13 on the controller (14.5 volts) and connected Pin 15 to the other terminal. It works fine but the cart is traveling 5 mph slower. I am not sure if the ITS is specific for each cart the one I used is an old one I had on hand. Any suggestions.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
From what I have seen there are two different voltages for the outputs of different ITS units

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
DCS and Series carts have a signal range of 0.4-0.6v through 1.5-1.7v
PDS carts have a signal range of 1.0v (+/- 0.3v) through 2.7v (+/- 0.5v)

Mattoxh

I checked the input voltage to the ITS 14volts Pin 13 the return Voltage At pin 15 is 2.8 volts full accelerator.
Curtis 1268 Speed Controller.

Bodein1982

I have had one a few years they were manufactured in my home town until they went out of business. I would like to rewire mine like an EzGo. i am a little
Concerned that I could damage the controller if I alter too much. I just don’t understand why no one wants to even discuss them or even offer assistance. It’s not just this site it is most all of them. I have learned a lot by trial and error. I hope to pick up a handheld device for programming and trouble shooting. Thanks for the reply. Have a great Holiday.
It’s that no one knows much about them !they are Chinese made and have weird parts that no other manufacturer uses ie the 3 wire throttle sensor. And the rear differential with the front facing output shaft for 4wd capability in all the carts 2wd and 4wd
I have 2 I’m working on right now . Have had to learn and do research on my own , have become a master mechanic on R&T . Kind of get attached to them ride is phenomenal for a cart !

Mattoxh

Thanks I get more acquainted daily. I have some wiring diagrams as well as access to the guy that assembled them at the facility. I have gotten the ITS issue settled I believe. I am now running the 2 wire Throttle Sensor I hope to get my speed back lost 5 mph. Top speed about 19-20 now. I have a friend with a handheld programmer about 46 miles away hope to get over there and reprogram as soon. My thoughts are to get as close to an EZGO as possible. I also repined the molex to the controller with a new molex and pins. I will share what I have if you need something, although you probably have it by now. I will post future problems maybe you can offer assistance. There is a private Facebook page with a few of us sharing ideas if you want to take a look. Let me know. By the way if you know where I can get a used programer I think I could use one. Thanks

Bodein1982

Yes , I found a place in Minnesota I believe that rents the programmer for $40 a month , payable by credit or debit card , they debit your card for the cost of the controller as a deposit , then charge you $40 for each month you have it , you can keep it as long as you want for $40 a month , then when you return it in good working order they will refund your deposit credit it back to your acct , does your cart have smooth acceleration with the 2 wire ? Are you sure that the speed loss is from the throttle sensor ? Does it still have a 1-2 fault code ? I had a situation where my solenoid was only producing 36 volts when it pulled in after pedal was pushed and it lost lots of speed, but then again it was with some batteries that were in it to begin with. (Probably since 2010 ). The discover AGM, I replaced them yesterday with Trojan T-875 flooded acid and now it screams, the owner tore up the ring gear when he had it ( Hunter 4x4). In the woods with the front hub locked And I guess the torque of the motor trying to spin at least 3 tires with resistance of mud or rough terrain sheared off almost. Half the teeth of the ring gear and rounded off the tops of the pinion teeth , can't find a OEM anywhere . Looking for a ring gear out of an 85 or so EZGO with open carriage locker of the Same size and ratio.

Attachments

• IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 22

Bodein1982

Trying to find the link to the place with the programmer for rent , also I would like to join the group on FB
But I did put the rear end back together without the ring gear, it's now strictly front wheel drive or locked positive traction front wheel drive and it will not hesitate to sling some mud or bother to slow down when you go off road . The only problem is that the front tires break loose on hard acceleration due to the smaller tires and the lighter batteries than the AGM. Which were 92 lbs a piece as opposed to the 60# new ones l and you don't want to run it with the hubs locked unless you are in the mud or going slow. Steering is difficult! Lol