It goes w/out pushing the pedal

scubasteve

I have a 1999 48V CC . As soon as the cart is put into forward or reverse it goes. There was some talk about solenoids and micro switches on another thread, and I didn't want to hijack the thread and I wanted to ask it in the forum appropriate for my cart.

Questions:

1) What are these micro switches? How do I know if they are good or bad? I am worried that if I step out and buy a solenoid, there may be nothing wrong with it. Which leads me to my next set of questions.....

2) How do I test a solenoid? How do I jump a solenoid and why would I want to do that? Keep in mind that it goes without even pushing the pedal.

3) Would it have anything to do with the controller?

sS

scubasteve

And.....

I noticed that one of the sponsors (jackrabbit) has a solenoid for $35. It looks different than what I have, but will it still work? That's about $20 better than the other solenoid I was looking at.

sS

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

There should be a micro switch inside the black box under the cart on the driver side floor near the go pedal. To check it use a ohm meter, you should get a reading when the switch is closed (on) and no reading when the switch is open (off). Make sure the arm is not bent on the switch and that it opens and closes when you push the go pedal. If that checks out good chances are your solenoid is bad.

Solenoids can go bad in different ways. By not making contact when activated or by staying activated all the time.

It's possible it could be a controller problem but I think your problem may be with the micro switch.

I just looked at the solenoid at JackRabbit and they look like good solenoids by the specs but I've never used one from them.

Start with testing the micro switch and if checks out good I would replace the solenoid.

scubasteve

Thanks HOT ROD! I'll check the micro switch before I do anything with the solenoid. I was able to get my hands on a new solenoid and no out of pocket expense other than gas!! I have a friend who has a friend kinda thing
naughty.gif

sS

scubasteve

Bottom line it was the micro switch that was causing this. Now, the microswitch wasn't bad, the housing that the switch was in had broke. The box was kinda twisted, not allowing the throttle lever to move freely - It was stuck wide open. I took out all the parts and pieces, JB Welded everything back wher it should be and ZOOM!!

sS