is it worth it to change? or possible?

hingeman

I have a 1989 electric club car, 36 volt, in need of batteries and tires. As you know they're pretty slow. What would be my best bet to improve speed. I thought about maybe lifting and bigger tires as well. Would new 36 v. batteries alone keep up with bigger tires or would I need an upgraded motor or is it possible to change to 48 v. If I did go 48 v. then would I have to change controller, motor, etc. Thanks for your help.
usaflag1.gif

DWscott

By lifting and adding larger diameter tires you will loose rather than gain speed, unless you make changes to stock carts. Yes you can upgrade your cart but if your not in love with this one think about getting a later model that already will have most of the up grades in a stock cart? Most change overs seem to run around $1500 and UP depending on your abilities.

hingeman

thanks for your input DWscott. i was afraid thats what i would hear back. i should sell it while the batteries are still ok and buy a newer cart. its bad timing for large sums of $$$ is the only thing! thanks again for your reply. scott

DWscott

I would wait for more opinions as my .02 worth is only my opinion and others may look at it from a different side and of course money being what it is today it could be that to do a upgrade step by step might not hurt the pocket all at once? Being disabled and on a small fixed OBAMA DRAINED income Im well aware of what you are talking about.