Is it possible to add on more batteries for an extended range in your electric vehicle?

adam wheeler

So I discovered the world of SLV's ((slow moving vehicles)) out of a place of desperation, I could never afford a big car or insurance for one and I see allot of people using none plated golf carts all the time in my city of New Orleans and had a chat with one of the operators and they said it was alright and I see them frequently enough to believe cops don't :censored: with them about it. So I went off and bought a solar powered tuk tuk.
Is it possible to add on more batteries for an extended range in your electric vehicle? She is being imported from china and even had a nineteen mile an hour limiter put on it so it could be shipped here with no odometer which i plan to install one myself... it uses a thousand watt motor which is considered a toy by most states and the company classifies it as a tricycle as it has three wheels. It is also powered by the sun along with the ability to charge from an outlet. one set of batteries is 5 cells The capacity right now is 45 Ah with the proclaimed range of a hundred mile range or more. and there is another compartment for another 5 cells So Im wandering would it be ok to link up 5 lithium cells to the existing cells to extend my range also they say the solar panel will let it go farther. Thanks for reading im super excited as it should be coming to the freight yard tomorrow.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I wouldn't get to excited considering where this unit is coming from there's a good chance it's junk. If the extra batteries are hooked in parallel to the battery pack it would increase runtime but I doubt if the underpowered battery charger or solar panel will work very well if at all.

adam wheeler

Yeah I know the stock parts are gonna suck but what i plan on doing is replacing the parts and components with better quality parts as they break down

HungryTraveler

Adam,

Sounds like a fun project. My experience with the chinese vehicles is that it can be difficult to find the appropriate parts after the fact. Sourcing the parts can definitely become an issue.