introduction-question about custom wheels and tire

injun_ear

Hi guys. I’ve been reading this forum for a couple of days now so I’m convinced that an EZ-GO is in my future….I’m currently located (under duress) in the burbs of Illinois but just closed on a home in Florida back in July…gated community/golf course, etc.

So, although I’m not a golfer my wife and I would use a cart to get around the community; clubhouse, tennis courts, etc.

I’m very good concerning mechanics and know how to do automotive painting, some welding and have worked on my own cars all my life, although I’m not in the trades.

Here’s my question…..Can anyone provide me online sources for the rims and low profile tires shown in these photos?
I’m not looking for the exact rims but a few sources to shop.

Also, can anyone tell from the photos what size the rims are (and tires if you can tell), and what kind of lift kit to accommodate them.

What other mods are required beyond the lift kit? Controller, motor, and why?

Thanks in advance…….

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

By looking at the pics I'd say the rims are 15". Golf cart bolt pattern is 4x4. Most rims like that will require adapters. The only golf cart site I've seen them at is buggiesunlimited, they also have the adapters. You could go to Discount Tire and they'll be able to get them. Just let them know you need a 4 on 4 bolt pattern. I'm not sure what size the tires are in the pics but my guess would be 205-50-15. I've worked on a few carts with the tire and wheels setup like the pics and I can tell you this the ride will be bone jarring, especially with HD springs...

As far as how much lit you'll need will depend on the cart. To run a 205-50-15 you'll need at least a 5-6" lift

Other upgrades will also depend on the type of cart. With a taller tire you lose torque so it will depend on the terrain. The taller the tire the harder it is on components like controller, solenoid, cables. With that type of tire I assume you'll be using the cart on streets only. If you don't have any steep hills you may not need to upgrade anything. I'd suggest at least upgrading to 4 guage cables...

injun_ear

Thanks. I sort of assumed they were around 15". I didn't realize that they were automotive rims though. I see now in the photo the bolt pattern is other than 4x4......

I think the largest "golf cart" rim I've found online thus far has been 12" with low profile tires mounted that were 205-30-12.

And yes, the cart would be used primarily on streets and flat terrain- no hills.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
buggiesunlimted on-line catalog has the 15" wheels with tires. They also have the adapters. I would check with Discount Tire, I'm sure you'll get a better deal there than at BU...

injun_ear

Hmm, is a cart wheel 4x4 with 100mm, 108, 114? :dazed:

Discount tire has 15" rims that are 4x4 with the above dimensions.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
With no adapters you'll need a 3x4 offset with a 7" wide wheel, or 3x5 offset with a 8" wide wheel. I think a 205-50-15 should work on a 7" wheel. Anything wider may need a 8" wheel. I would ask at discount tire what width wheel to use for the size tires you go with. Just make sure the bolt pattern is 4x4 and 3x4 or 3x5 offset on the wheels and you should be fine...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Offset is the measurement from the flat surface of the wheel that mounts to the axle or hub to the inside and out side of the wheel.

The wheels BU sells aren't a 4 on 4 bolt pattern so you need the adapter. If you can get the wheel you want with the correct offset and bolt pattern you don't need a adapter or spacer.

The adapter adapts there wheel to a 4 on 4 bolt pattern. The spacer is just a spacer.

injun_ear

Ok, but what is meant by "3x4"? Is that 3" to 4" on a 7" rim?

Also, the lugs on the cart are 1/2" and the lugs on the new wheel are 12mm.

Wouldn't that be a problem?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
3x4 offset means there's 3" from the wheel mating surface to the area the tire bead seats on one side and 4" on the oppisite side. It moves the tire and wheel in or out depending on the offset.

The lugs are 1/2" so you need a wheel that is made for 1/2 inch studs. Or you'll need the adapters.

Every cart I've seen with the 15" or bigger wheels had adapters. According to the BU site the 15" tire and wheels comes with the adapter. If you buy from them they will bolt on with no problem.

If you going to buy from Discount Tire just tell them the tires and wheels you want and the wheels need to 7" or 8" wide with a 3" back space and half inch lugs. I buy a lot of golf cart tires and wheels from Discount tire but I've never bought any wheels taller than 12". They may not be able to get you what you need, but I think they can. You need to go to one of their stores and talk to them.

You may be better off buying them from BU. At least you'll know they'll fit.

injun_ear

Ah, that's what I thought...I've yet to find a 15 or 16" rim with 1/2" lugs. They're almost all 12mm....

I know what the offset is and how to measure the backspace but was confused by the "3x4".....

I can get the adapters from BU and still use my own wheels. I searched most automotive sites that have adapters and they all adapt 12mm to 12mm on 4x4.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
That will work too. I just wanted to explain so you didn't order $1000 set of tires and wheels and then they didn't fit. :eek:

Let us know what you wind up with...