Intermittent Starting Issue

Bigal11

I have a 2008 Club Car Precedent gas golf cart with an intermittent starting issue. It starts and runs great most of the time but occasionally when you press the pedal it's like the battery is dead. You let off pedal and push again and it starts fine. It may take pressing it a third time but not often. I put a new starter and battery last summer. Also put new micro switches on at that time and a new box under the gas pedal (forgot what thats called). This problem started when we started using it after sitting thru the winter. Kept a battery maintainer hooked up thru the winter. Any suggestions on the issue? Solenoid? Starter? Etc?

Nubs

Cartaholic
Do you hear the solenoid click at all when it does not start? A bad solenoid would be my guess or a bad ground:hattip:

Nubs

Cartaholic
So the starter is trying to turn every time but can't always roll the engine over?

Bigal11

That's the way it seems but very weak try. I was thinking it was caught on the compression stroke at first and the battery wasn't strong enough to turn itbut it does it a few times a day now.

Nubs

Cartaholic
I would check the voltage drop with digital voltmeter when you try the starter, newer battery's can still be an issue if they can't take a load. Are you sure there is a good ground from the engine to the frame.

Bigal11

Not positive but it hasn't been changed or loosened by me in at least 3 years. I have a new battery that I'm going to put on it that I already had. I'll let you know how that goes.

Bigal11

Battery didn't change things. Still has the same issue. Cleaned grounding straps and connections too. Next? Solenoid?

Nubs

Cartaholic
I still would like to know the voltage drop, if the voltage drops below 11 volts when the starter is engaged then the starter may be the problem.
You can jump the two large posts on the solenoid with a jumper cable and if it rolls over good every time then the solenoid is most likely the problem.

Jack M

I had one that did that as well. But would always overcome the compression eventually. I always figured that it was a weak starter/generator.
It has since been sold and is still running as far as I know.