Intermittant pause when starting

jwindsor

My 84 gasser runs fine, but maybe 30% of the time wont start the first time you step on the peddle for 5 or so seconds. I've been told it could be a compression lock of some sort. Once it "gets over the hump" it cranks right over. I've replaced the brushes and since then the starter/generator and it acts the same way. New battery doesnt make a difference either. Any ideas???

wbraley

I have a 98 DS that is also hesitating when trying to start. It seems like there is something binding. I even get a little screech from the belt before it locks up. After four or five pumps on the gas pedal it finally turns over. It sounds like the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

jwindsor

The battery I have in the car is a relatively new NAPA 75 series with 650 CCA (cold cranking amps) and was told that I should try a battery with more CCA. I located a local Interstate battery dealer and hope to pick up a 850 CCA model and see if that helps, but I'm skeptical.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you can hear the belt slip it needs to be tightened. That should take care of your problem with the hesitation on starting.

MAC

Is there a measurement for the distance between the pulleys? I know there is a tool for it but a measurement should be just as good..
Mac

jwindsor

The battery I have in the car is a relatively new NAPA 75 series with 650 CCA (cold cranking amps) and was told that I should try a battery with more CCA. I located a local Interstate battery dealer and hope to pick up a 850 CCA model and see if that helps, but I'm skeptical.
Case solved! Battery had a bad cell and the starter was shot. Runs like one is supposed to now. Life is good.

jwindsor

Problem solved! It was a bad battery AND the starter/generator.
biggrin.gif

MonsterKart

I have an 86 Gas Club Car. It has been completely rebuilt top and bottom. (w/ exception of starter/generator) When I press the gas sumtimes it turns over right away, other times nothing happens. Sometimes you press it half way and it turns over. There is a delay or hesitation when it starts. Any thoughts? Thanks.