Installing Lights On a Club Car Golf Cart

cives

Alright I have been installing my lights on my Club Car golf cart. I have the Voltage reducer from BU and I have it hooked up correctly but the lights still are not working. The thing that has me confused is in the instruction it doesn't show a ground wire of any kind and there is no ground wire coming out of the reducer.

Tha_Rooster

Advanced Member
My guess is he has 48volts with a 16 to 12volt reducer. There needs to be a ground just give a long hard look at it.

cives

Rooster is right. There is no ground all it has is the one wire to the battery and two other wires coming out to hook the lights up to.

cives

I am very confused about it too. I need to hurry up and get this problem out of the way might finally be getting rid of my cart in a couple weeks. So I need make sure everything is working and looking good.

amocored

Cives,

The three wires are for a frame grounded system. I am not positive, but a voltage reducer is nothing but a large resister. It is going to drop voltage by way of "heat". One wire is going to your + side of your second battery, and the other is going to the + side of your light. Then run a negative wire (not included) from your - side of your light to the - on your first battery. The third wire is not going to be used or is going to another light or load.

If you use an ohm meter, you should find resistance (high reading) between one wire and the other 2. There should be no resistance between the other two.

shadowman

if this is a 48 volt cart depending on the reducer it has to be hooked into the OBC to work right and there is no ground wire from the reducer that gets grounded to the frame.. just like every other ground on an electric cart it gets grounded to a neg terminal on battery. it all depends like I said some have to be wired thru the OBC.

Greg Moss

I got one of those things on my cart. You need to pick 2 batteries to use. The wire from the reducer that has a ring terminal on it is what hooks to the neg. term. of the 2 batteries you have chosen to use. There are two more wires coming out of the reducer they hook up to the ground wires of the lights or stereo you are using. What that thing does is regulate the voltage through the ground of what ever you are hooking up. Hook all other power wires up like you normally would to the positive of the batteries you have chosen.