Installing Lift Kit and 23" Tires on a Club Car DS Hoping Not to Lose Torque

drb1984

I just purchased a 2002 Club Car DS 48 volt golf cart that has a 3.75HP special service motor and a curtis 225 amp controller. I am currently in the process of installing a 6" lift kit with 23" tires. The forward/reverse switch is located below the front seat and its a lever. Before I started the modifications the cart ran about 19mph and I am hoping to get a little more speed with the bigger tires without losing much torque. If Im not happy with how the cart performs after I get it all together what are my options to increase speed and torque? I am a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff and I have heard I can upgrade just the controller, and others info I read says you need a motor, controller, solenoid, fnr switch, 4 guage cables etc... I am just trying to see what my options are without spending unnecessary money on the cart. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. And thank you for adding me to this group!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would consider installing a set of 4 gauge cables to start with and you'll probably be fine. You can try it with the stock cables but if they start getting hot upgrade them all to 4 gauge. If you need more torque after that a higher amp controller will help on a series cart like you have. All Sports sells nice premade 4 gauge cables.
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

drb1984

I went to that website and i only saw a package of a few cables for $25 with no indication of what gauge. I've seen larger kits of 4 ga cables for almost $300 so what's the difference. Also, I've done a little digging and ive read if i go over 400 amps on controller i need 2 gauge cables. Does this sound right?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
4 gauge cables will work fine with a 400 amp controller. The cables you're seeing on All Sports website are just the battery cables. You'll have to call them to see if they have a complete set for your make, model and year golf cart. If All sports doesn't have a complete set of cables you can check Buggies Unlimited. You'll need to call either place to make sure you get the right cables for your model cart. You should be able to get the complete set of cables for under $200.

drb1984

Thanks again guys. I'm looking at a beefed up forward and reverse switch. I'm running across 2 different part numbers that appear to match my cart. Nivel part numbers 5770 and 5774. Not sure what the difference is, trying to make sure i order the right one

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The 5774 is a better forward and reverse switch. Either one will work on your cart. There's also a 5074 heavy duty Club Car forward and reverse switch that's supposed to be the best one Nivel sells that will work on your cart. I'm not sure what the actual difference is between the switches so I'd call whoever you're buying from and get the details from them. :twocents: