Installing a Radio In a Tomberlin Golf Cart

Dobber

This is a 48 volt Tomberlin golf cart. I'm assuming that a 48 volt to12 volt DC-DC converter is the best option for installing a radio. Any ideas how much this will impact battery life? Any suggestions as to a better way to do this, or is this the preferred method? Finally, any recommendations for a good DC-DC converter? Make? Model? Price?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've always used a 12 volt deep cycle battery for my accessories. If you have room in the cart that's the cheapest way.

Dobber

How would such an 'adjunct' battery get charged? Is there special circuitry needed to charge the extra battery? Seems the charger is appropriate for 48v. Sorry if I'm missing something but I'm fairly new to cart electrics.

ke4d

The E-Merge has a 12 volt cigarette lighter. There is no need for added converters or step down devices. The lighter plug has sufficient current capability to handle any radio one would want to put in the cart. I will be putting one of my two meter ham radios in my Tomberlin in the near future and I will simply wire in in front of the cigarette lighter plug. :thumbsup:

OlBoy

Does the e-merge use 12 volt batteries? Are they tapping off one battery or do they have a reducer already installed?

ke4d

Nope, six 8 volt batteries. I haven't looked at the schematic to see how they get 12 volts to the cigarette lighter. I am not at home right now but when I get back from my current FEMA deployment I'll check it out.