Installing 12 Volt Winch On 48 Volt Club Car

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What make and model winch?

It will work but a winch pulls a lot of amps so your battery pack will more than likely go out of balance if you use the winch a lot.

dougmcp

It's just a series motor, you can run a 12v winch on 16v without any problems. It will spool 30% faster and have additional pull power.

I could probably make a switch setup to change between the 3 pairs of batteries. I have not purchased the winch yet but am getting prepared.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The batteries should be fine as long as your not using the winch a lot. If you plan on using it a lot switching to 2 different batteries occasionally will work. Or you could put a 12 volt deep cycle battery in the bag well to power the winch.

Well I have installed my winch and plow and it does in fact work well on 8 volts! I do see that it could be a problem using only one battery. Can any one tell me the best inexpensive 48 to 12 volt converter that can handle the amps of a winch? I am running a Super-winch LT 2000. Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

This winch pulls these amps in the chart although I don't think I would pull more than 25 amps lifting the snow plow. I am using a pulley block which reduces the pull by 50 %.
Performance 12VDC (1st layer on drum):

Line Pull Motor FPM Line Speed
LB (kg) AMPS (m/m)

0 0 10 10.0 (3.0)
500 (227) 25 8.0 (2.4)
1000 (454) 50 6.5 (2.0)
1500 (680) 70 4.8 (1.4)
2000 (907) 100 2.5 (0.8)

dougmcp

You won't hurt anything using the winch but if you want a 48v-12v reducer they are around $150.
If you are that concerned, install an auxiliary 12v battery to run your accessories.

Well I went and bought a 12 volt deep cycle battery and tweaked a few things and it works Perfect! It only takes a minute to take off the plow. I am going to leave the winch on permanently. Now all I have to do is take it apart, clean it up, smooth out the edges and put a coat of paint on it! Well this brings to an end my year long conversion from a plain golf cart to a lean mean ATV/UTV machine!