Indiana Street Legal Golf Cart Law

mayorpc

Indiana Governor Signs Golf Cart Ordinance Bill for Street Legal Golf Carts

INDIANA STATEHOUSE - Local officials may now enact ordinances allowing residents to drive golf carts in their communities. Gov. Mitch Daniels signed House Enrolled Act 1483 Tuesday afternoon.

"The ordinance will allow residents to operate golf carts on the municipal streets or private roads, or both,” said Rep. Bill Davis (Portland). “This has been a heavily debated issue in my district, and we have worked to give local governments the control to decide if they want to adopt the ordinance for their community."

Under the new law, any golf cart ordinance must include certain requirements:

•Operators must display a slow-moving-vehicle sign or a red flashing lamp on their golf carts.
•Operators must have a valid driver’s licenses.
•A person removing a wrecked or damaged golf cart from a highway also must remove any glass or other foreign material from the golf cart.

If a city or town chooses not to adopt the ordinance, HEA 1483 would prohibit the use of golf carts on public or private roadways.

HEA 1483 becomes effective July 1. :usa:

imnfl

•Operators must display a slow-moving-vehicle sign or a red flashing lamp on their golf carts.
•Operators must have a valid driver’s licenses.
•A person removing a wrecked or damaged golf cart from a highway also must remove any glass or other foreign material from the golf cart.

oddpowers

Cartaholic
Pendleton, Chesterfeild, and Lapel, Indana Allow carts on the street provided the meet certain safety requirements. Plus a $50 year registration.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A lot of small towns in Illinois were making golf carts legal to drive on the streets a couple years ago but I haven't heard much about it lately. Hopefully all the states/towns will start considering making carts street legal. :cool:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
It's crazy that the Government jacks around with this, the tee baggers tell us to conserve on fuel bla bla, but bust our chops when we do.