Ignitor coil question...

thehelmet

'97 Club Car DS won't start - appears to be getting fuel to Carb, new spark plug, engine starts/runs by spraying starter fluid inti the air intake, but won't fire otherwise. Does this sound like ignitor coil issue? ...and where the heck is it?
wallbash.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i have a 97 in here right now doin' the same thing kinda, it will start if i choke it with my hand but will die once it comes off idle. had a 01 do the same last yr and a new rev limiter solved the problem.

shadowman

if the carts are running then coil/ignitor isn,t the problem.......you have fuel/carb issues.................carts wouldn,t start up at all with bad coil/ignitors................................
cool.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well i guess i lucked out on the 01, would only idle and then fall on its face. just replaced the igniter/rev limiter and it ran fine, never touched the fuel system
dazed053.gif

shadowman

nubs thats 1st for me the coil/ignitor sends spark to the spark plug and if its bad ( no spark ) so no fire to start motor i think you know that right? and even if its sending a weak spark and cart starts it wouldn,t have any effect on what your decribing......i,m scratching my head this is one i have never heard of so i need to ask anybody else out hear ever heard or seen a cart run with a bad coil/ignitor?.....................................
cool.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
from what i'm told is the rpm limiter goes bad in the igniter, igniter fires as normal but the limiter kicks in and grounds the signal at 800/1000 rpm's instead of 3,800 or whatever the high end is set at. we'll see if the new igniter solves this 97. my parts dude sez he sells a couple dozen a yr
dazed053.gif

shadowman

i need to try and find out a few things but the rpm limitor and ignitor are 2 seperate parts i could understand if they were like one combo unit but they arn,t, you know like the coil/ignitor on your cart is one in the same but the limitor is a stand alone part.........sorry i,m tryingbto wrap my head around this but so far i can,t..............................
cool.gif

shadowman

the coil/ignitor is one unit the rpm limitor is still mounted down in the same place as the older ones......or is that what your referring to the coil/ignitor? if so than i got ya but whats throwing me off is limitor/ignitor......no such part.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
yeah, coil/igniter together and the rev limiter mounted on the front of the block. like i said in my first post, i had a 01 and now this 97 doin' the same thing, would start and idle and then die when ya hit the gas. replaced the rev limiters and all was good, far as i'm concerned they can call it the black box that makes it run right
dazed053.gif

i do believe you were the one saying the coil/igniter was not the problem, yes. i said rev limiter was my problem.