IGNITION WIRING

dave210

I have a 1996 Cushman, gas powered, Suzuki 8.5 engine. Just installed headlights.
Now, when I finished and tried to crank it--nothing.
The wiring is simple for the headlights--directly to positive side of battery then to headlights. Each light had a black wire which I hooked to ground. The lights came on, so I don't think there is a problem there.
Does anybody know where I can get a wiring diagram of the ignition. Or any ideas would be helpful.
thanks, Dave 210

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

You say it starts when the switch is on. Are you talking about the key switch or the light switch?

dave210

Well actually I guess I mislead you--When it works it starts by depressing the gas pedal.

That is when the ignition switch is on. Right now it does nothing.
Sorry about that
dave210

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would check all your connections at the battery, solenoid and starter. If it was working before you wired the lights maybe you bumped a wire or something. Is the solenoid getting power with the key on when you press the throttle? Does the solenoid click when you press the throttle?

dave210

I have traced it back to the ignition switch. Bought a generic switch with three wires and a ground in the middle. The old switch has four wires also. A red, brown, black, and black and red striped. I tried to wire up the new one without success.

Need a color coded wire diagram. It looks like the black one is the hot from the battery--the rest I am not sure about. Thought the striped one was ground because I could never get a reading on my meter in any positon of the switch for that one. Brown or red must go to the solenoid. I have tried them in both positions and nothing happens.

I know it,s the switch because the brown wire was broken loose and when I touched it back, it would crank.
Any other ideas appreciated.