Ignition timing??

ac900tc

I just finished a rebuild on an ez go gas 2 stroke (crank,seals, piston etc.) It will start and run at lower rpm's but not rev very well ,even on a stand. It sounds like the ignition advance is too slow. How do I check or adjust it? Thanks in advance, Brad

ac900tc

Does anyone have a manual that could look up the specs, or procedure for me? It's an '88 EZ-Go 2 stroke.

ez chris

how does it run in opposite direction? or does it run same in both directions? I don't have a manual. but i have an 84, 2 stroke. i think you can adjust the ignitor on the engine. but not sure. and i am assuming you cleaned carb up really good for the rebuild. if it's dirty it wont catch the rpm's either. how was your fuel-oil mixture. i am no ez-go mechanic but these things i would check. hope this help's. chris

ac900tc

Thanks for the reply. Carb has been thoroughly cleaned. It seems to run a little better (slightly in reverse) I have worked on many snowmobiles in the past, and they usually run a fixed advance until a certain rpm. then the cdi advances to high rpm timing. I was wondering if it is a similar setup on these EZ-go's. I had the ignitor plate off, and maybe I got it on incorrectly? I would like to know if tere is a way to check it wo taking the cover and flywheel back off?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Are you sure you installed the piston in the right direction? Make sure the hole in the side of the piston (intake port) is toward the intake side on the cylinder. If you need to check you can look in the exhaust port and make sure you can't see the hole in the piston.

ac900tc

The piston had a square hole in the skirt. I installed on the same side as the square hole in the cyl. Does this sound correct?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The hole in the skirt should aim at the intake port where the carb is mounted. If you installed it wrong you'll be able to see the hole in the skirt in the piston skirt by taking the exhaust off at the head and look in the exhaust port while slowly turning the engine by hand. If you see the hole the piston is in wrong...

ac900tc

Checked the piston orientation, and it is correct. I was messing w it with an inductive pickup timing light, and noticed that it does not have spark at times while cranking. It has a new coil on it. Im thinking igniter? Do you have any other suggetions or checks? thanks. Brad

Ga_goat

Double check all engine ground wires/cables . then triple check them , also there is a screw post inside the hole where the coil wire hooks to the coil make sure the wire is seated well . and check the carb air intake (filter ) make sure it is clean enough to let enough air in if all the above doesent help try running with muffler un hooked , - could be a stopped up muffler .

ac900tc

Where the coil wire screws on is OK. Acts the same w air intake hose off. I already tried it w the muffler unbolted, and no change. After some more messing around, I noticed sometimes it will crank and have NO spark for 30-40 seconds at a time??