Ignition Key Switch for Par Car Gas Golf Cart

Stotty92

I am in need of a ignition key switch for a 93 Par Car gas golf cart. If anyone has one in good shape, or knows another way to fix this, I would appreciate it. The golf cart starts right up and takes off in reverse. However, in forward, you have to jiggle it to get it to turn, and then it doesn't have enough juice to take off. If I put a booster pack on, it fires right off. Thinking it must be the key switch. New battery has been installed and problem persists. If anyone has this part, PLEASE let me know. I'm desperate. Put a lot of time and parts into this project, and this is all that's left to do. Thanks! :hattip:

Stotty92

gonzo:
I was under the impression that a normal 3 position switch will not work, because forward and reverse also run through this switch. I checked a couple local auto stores, and they say they carry nothing like this switch.

Stotty92

Yeah, that's the right switch. Problem is, all those places show that part, but when you call them, they tell you they have none in stock and they're all on backorder. That's why I was hoping maybe someone on here may have one laying around somewhere. I will check the places you suggested. It's just aggravating when you need one itty bitty part and can't find it anywhere.

lowflybye

I'm in the same situation although with a 92 model...was hoping to find a 3 position switch that will work instead of spending the $100+ for an OEM replacement that is highly prone to failure if you can actually find one. I just ordered a 3 position switch from JC Whitney, but am wondering how I will wire it correctly and / or if I will need to add a FWD / REV switch in line as well.

Gonzo

Tennessee Squire
lowflybye,
As I clicked the empty button on my junk e-mail file I think I saw an e-mail from you. I went through the recent posts and this thread is the only one I have posted on. Could you either resend the e-mail or post here.

lowflybye

Gonzo- I pretty much reiterated and expanded on what I posted here...however, while removing the old switch I found that it simply had a broken terminal stud on the FWD terminal connected to the switch diode. I fixed the broken piece, reconnected the wire, and we are off to the races. I would still like to know how you are wiring a 3 position switch with only 3 terminals into a system designed for 4 primary terminals plus 3 additional ancillary terminals. A wiring diagram or simple picture file with some "paint" editing will work as well. I am sure this switch will eventually fail and I plan to replace it with the 3 position ignition switch from JC Whitney when it does so that information would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

lowflybye

Stotty - Could you do me a huge favor and measure your primary drive clutch gap and or the fixed shaft length at the base section. I had to fabricate a new one and need to make a small adjustment.

Gonzo

Tennessee Squire
I misunderstood Stotty's original question and suggested a 3 position switch. In my second post I listed pictures and links to the proper switch. I've never wired one, just made a suggestion.

djlan99

All this switch does is send 36v to either the forward or reverse solenoid and power to the back up buzzer.

I was able to repair one for a customer.

I also eliminated the speed controller and replaced it with three micro switches.