I Just Bought a Golf Cart and Have Some Questions

kajo

i am new to this so i have some questions about a new golf cart I just bought/
this is the new baby..i just got the tags today so it is street legal.
it is pretty fast (to me at least) gps says 32mph with me and wife in it and i am a pretty big guy coming in at 290 lbs..

my questions are
what is your general opinion of what you see, condition, lift etc etc
it has all new batteries as of oct 09.
should i go with bigger cables?
what should i do to them maint wise to get the max power/life out of them?
i cant say that i really like the f/n/r switch..any options on this?
i would like a usage meter so i dont get stranded somewhere, any suggestions?
i would also like new gas/break peddles..are they easy to replace or is it a big deal?
and my last question for now..how about being caught out in the rain?
i know elect and water dont mix so should i be really careful or is it not a big deal?
thanks for any advise and answers to my questions..

FOR THE CART ITSELF.... YOUR CART COULD HANDLE MORE RAIN THAN YOU WOULD!! DONT WORRY ABOUT DRIVING IN THE RAIN, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T GET WATER UP SUBMERGED UP TO THE CONTROLLER YOU ARE FINE. EVEN THE CONTROLLERS CAN TAKE A BEATING. WE HAVE PULLED CARTS OUT OF THE POND AT THE COURSE AND DRY THEM OUT AND THEY ARE RUNNERS!!!! AS FOR BATT MAINT, MAKE SURE THAT YOU KEEP THE WATER ABOVE THE PLATES (ABOUT 1/4") AND NO MORE!! CHECK THEM AT LEAST ONCE EVERY MONTH OR TWO.

AND AS FOR THE CART I THINK IT LOOKS GREAT...... GOOD WORK!!!!!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the cart is running 32 mph it's got some upgrades. It looks like a Alltrax controller and I'm guessing it's got a high speed high rpm motor. You need to upgrade those cables to no less than 4 guage. Those High speed motors pull a lot of amps and will heat the 6 guage cables up in a hurry. It looks like the main positive and negative cables are already bigger. Looks like a nice cart.

StreetGlide

Hello,

Nice looking cart!!!

I wouldn't let the screen door hit you in the butt heading to the nearest welding supply store for some 4ga welding cables! :thumbsup:

kajo

it is on the list for monday morning..will it give me more power, drive time or just piece of mind that i wont melt cables?
thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It may give you a little more torque. You also won't have a melt down at one of the batteries from the small cables and the higher amp controller and higher RPM motor. Just make sure you change all the cables to a minimum of 4 guage welding cables and make sure the ends are crimped or soldered properly or you'll have problems.

I just noticed in the pics that the forward and reverse switch was eliminated and now uses solenoids. That's good with the high RPM motor, they have a tendency to overheat the stock f/r switch.

kajo

the way i have soldered large cable in the past was to heat the lug up and melt it full of solder and then just stick the bare end in there..is that the desired method or am i better of using a crimping tool?
thanks
dave

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Kajo....Great looking cart with impressive speed. Yes, soldering the lugs is an acceptable method, and the one that I prefer.

kajo

thanks and your cart is hot..i have been looking at your pics for a while and dont be
surprised if i steel some ideas from ya.

Frizbgolf

kajo, when it comes to cable connections using welding cable I like to do both crimp and solder. Welding cable is a fine strand copper soldering alone works well but will break down with heat and vibration over time. Crimping ensures a good strong connection but doesn't seal out the elements. I have found through 20 yrs of working as an electrician in corrosive enviroments that to do both is best. Crimp the lug first then solder it just like you would a plumbing fittiing ( heat the end of the lug and let it draw the solder in) have done this many times and never had a problem. Hope this helps.

dougmcp

my questions are
what is your general opinion of what you see, condition, lift etc etc
Nice cart, tastefully done IMO
it has all new batteries as of oct 09.
Charge after as little as 15 min of peddle time
should i go with bigger cables?
Yes, 4ga should be sufficient
i cant say that i really like the f/n/r switch..any options on this?
You can move the switch to the dash, it's only small gauge control wiring
i would like a usage meter so i dont get stranded somewhere, any suggestions?
Get a digital State of Charge meter, about $50
i would also like new gas/break peddles..are they easy to replace or is it a big deal?
I have some billet ones for sale, send me a PM
and my last question for now..how about being caught out in the rain?
i know elect and water dont mix so should i be really careful or is it not a big deal?
No problem.
One last comment, a cart that goes that fast needs to have more than rear brakes. I would look into front hydraulic brakes.

kajo

cool..thanks for the feed back and i agree with the front disc breaks..soon and very soon.
it was interesting the first time i hit the breaks and nothing really happened.
i sent you a pm about the peddles.
thanks
dave