How to Test a Golf Cart Battery Charger

Matt80

I’m trying to get a golf cart going it's a Club Car Precedent. Grandpa left it in a ingested garage last winter in central Illinois. He left the battery charger plugged in and never checked it. The batteries were dry. I filled them with water and plugged the charger in again but it won’t kick on. I would imagine the batteries are bad. How do I test the battery charger to see if it’s ok and working?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
On the back of the charge receptacle in the cart jump the gray wire little one to the negative of the battery pack you should hear the charger click you will need some voltage at least 20 V and the batteries for that to happen. If not get a 12 V charger for a car and put it on each battery for a couple hours each.

Matt80

I have 6-8 volt batteries. I’m thinking it would be best to disconnect the batteries and charge them individually. My battery charger has 6 volt and 12 volt settings. What’s the best way to charge a 8 volt battery?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can charge the 8 volt batteries with a 12 volt charger and you don't need to unhook any battery cables. Charge one battery at a time for 20-30 minutes on the lowest amp setting your 12 volt battery charger has. If the batteries are good that should be enough to get the golf cart battery charger to turn on.

Matt80

I charged all six batteries for about 20 minutes each. Plugged in the charger and it kicked on and slowly migrated to the right side of the gauge. I let it run for about six hours and the gauge never moved from the right side. The battery charger was getting pretty hot. Is there anything else I should check?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Well if you had of charged each battery for two hours rather than 20 minutes it wouldn’t be working that hard. Those batteries are probably bad and were completely dead so yes the Chargers going to get hot