How To Tell If It's a 2 or 4 stroke Golf Cart Engine

hwally

An older friend of mine just bought a 1988 Yamaha golf cart. She was told it is 2-stroke engine but the info I've seen on the internet says it's a 4 stroke engine. What should I look for to know for sure or the easiest way to tell it it's a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome tothe forum.

If it's a 88 it's a G2 and would be a 4 stroke. The easiest way to tell is a 2 stroke golf cart will have an oil tank and a 4 cycle will have a dipstick and a have a oil cap on the engine.

Early Yamaha Model G2 serial numbers can be found under the rear bumper stamped into the square cross member of the frame on the passengers side. From 1988 through 1990 the G2 serial number can be found under the seat where the floorboard meets the engine compartment.

Post your serial number and we can tell you for sure what you have.

hwally

I called her and she gave me the vin number off her title. J4Z002297. I'm not sure if this is the same number. If not I'll go over and check. Thank you for the help.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
My chart doesn't show anything starting with J4Z. Double check the serial number. It should be located in one of the two places I mentioned in the earlier post.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
There are a couple of ways to tell.
If you have to add oil to the gas or to a little tank, it's a 2 stroke.
If it has a dip stick, it is a 4 stroke.
If it has a cap with a tube going in to the engine with "OIL" on it, it's a 4 stroke.
To get to the engine, if the whole rear body, seats and all, flips back wards, it's a 2 stroke.
If the seats flip forward to get to the engine, it's a 4 stroke.
If it has a roof with no front braces, it's a 2 stroke.

If none of these gives you a clue, let me know and I'll give you a few more hints. :naughty:

hwally

It has the dip stick and oil filler. The seat flips forward and the gas filler says nothing about adding oil. It's a four stroke. What threw me off was the previous owner. He told my friend it was a two stroke and told her to mix the oil and gas. My previous experience with two strokes is with weed eaters. A four stroke will be a lot easier for her to handle. Thanks for the help. Next step is to go through the wiring. I downloaded a wiring diagram. When I turn on the key and step on the accelerator I only get a clicking like some sort of a selenoid. I had her put a charger on the battery overnight but it still only clicks. Does the starter /generator work by reversing the polarity, turning it one direction or the other. I haven't had a lot of time to look at it yet. I helped her haul it down to Mexico from Phoenix. We're out in the sticks here but luckily I have a full set of snap on tools and lots of test equipment. Thanks. Guess I'll switch over to th e 4-cycle forum. Thanks everyone.

hwally

hello I'm back and after some first hand checks have found it is a 2cycle and also located the serial number, it's on the square cross member by the rear bumper. It is J42-002297 Under the filler lid it says: Notice this car is equiped with autolube oil injection system. Do not use a gas oil mix. fill with yamaha golf cart oil.
canI got the other. misleading. info from my fried who is 86 and cant see well. Who ever sold her the cart told her it was an 88 and the title says 88 and has the same serial number. Any idea what year and model it is? I downloaded a wiring diagram for an 88 but it's different than her cart. She has 2 relays for the starter generator Also forward and reverse seems to be controlled by turning the key forward or backward. There's also a reverse light on the dash.
e
Right now it won't start, the selenoids just click when I turn on the key and step on the accelerator, I tested the battery and it is fully charged. She told me it did run and she drove it before she bought it. . Could anyone explain how the starter generator works. Thank You for the help. I,ll be headed back over to her house tomorrow.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
It sounds to me like somebody has been messin' around in there, the best way would be to take and post a picture of the duel solenoid deal. Any good 2 cycle oil will work in the oil pump. Once you turn the key on does it click, or does it click after you push the gas pedal?

hwally

It clicks when I step on the gas pedal. I had someone move the gas pedal with the key on so I could check things out with a test light. There are two cables that connect to the rear of the starter generator
The upper cable end was blue looking and very hot. I removed the starter generator and disassembled it. It was full of carbon and copper flakes. The brushes were barely there and the armature was black. I'm going to order another one and have a friend bring it when he comes. The dual relays are hooked up with the stock harness. It is in the looms and has original connectors. I need to find out what year this cart is so I can order the right starter/generator. Thanks

hwally

I looked up the serial number and it is a 1986 G3-A Model code J42. I found a post of a circuit diagram for a G3-A and it has the dual relays. They only made the G3-A in 1986. Eventhough her title says 1988. I found the serial numbers and wrote them down so I know they are right. We'll order the part and see what's next. Thanks