How to remove brake drum without axle spinning

Absberg2k

I am trying to replace the brake shoes on my 2001 electric EZ GO. I'm following the guide on this site and have the directions from the manual.

I'm having one major stumbling block and it may be a stupid question but .....

I can't figure out how to remove the castellated nut without the axle shaft spinning. The manual says not to set the brake but that seems to be the only way to keep it from spinning as I'm trying to loosen the castellated nut.

I then tried it with the parking brake set and it still spins (though with some resistance).

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a relatively easy way to do this? To remove the nut without the axle spinning?

Thanks to all in advance for any guidance or advice.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Best way I know is to use an impact wrench. Otherwise, put the cart on the ground/tire on parking brake set and use a breaker bar with a cheater pipe. When you put the drum back on you need to make it just as tight.
thumbup.gif

tunnelmike

Even with my 22" tires the tire on the ground with the brake on works with a breaker bar likke dirty said. My 1/2" cheap impact can't fully tighten or break one free.

Absberg2k

Thanks to you both. It sounds like I should be breaking it loose before I jack it up?

I will try hitting it with an impact wrench while still sitting on the ground and see if that doesn't get it loose.

It sounds like the next step is a breaker bar.

Thanks again.

Absberg2k

Update: The impact wrench worked like a charm. I'd been wanting to get one of those anyway and this gave me an excuse.

Most challenging part of this brake shoe replacement job was getting the drum back on over the new shoes. On one side, it was pretty easy. I must have gotten lucky. On the second side, it took quite a lot of tinkering with the placement of the shoes and the adjuster pin to get the drum back on.

Eventually got them both back on. Torqued the castle nut to about 100 ft/lbs and everything looks good.

Thanks again for the advice.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
cool.gif
I run the nut down til it stops with the 1/2" impact then let the impact hammer castle nut to next closest hole for cotter pin.
twocents.gif
cool.gif