How to Release Shoe Pressure on the Brake Drum?

bdannels

Hello hello all, new here and new to carts.
I I have a 2003 DS Electric, with a locked up rear wheel on the driver's side. I have removed the brake cable and tire. The drum will wiggle a little but it looks like the shoes are up against the drum and holding it. There is a rubber boot on the bottom of my brake setup, back side where the brake lever comes out. From the diagram I can see there's a brake adjustment that you get to behind the drum. My question is, can I get to that brake adjustment from the back side and release the pressure of the shoes on the drum?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you remove the rubber dust cover you'll be able to get at the star wheel on the brake shoe adjuster. You'll probably need to use a small screwdriver to push the self adjuster lever away from the star wheel in order to turn it to loosen the brake shoes.

bdannels

I really appreciate your quick response. Glad you mentioned the small screwdriver. I've been looking at that and figured there was no way to get at that wheel through that little hole but I guess if you have a small screwdriver it'll work. We'll give it a shot in the morning!
thanks again

bdannels

Okay I'm back at it this morning got the nut off that holds the back plate and I'm sitting here looking at it and clueless is what to do next. The brake actuator bar is all the way to the left, I see nowhere to get at the star wheel to back off the shoes. Any help sure would be appreciated as to what to do next

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_102409260.jpg
    IMG_20201017_102409260.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2

bdannels

Update, long story short. The drums off need new shoes on this wheel and a new drum on this wheel. The condition of the passenger side shoes and drum are almost brand new. The guy I bought it from said he recently had someone put new tires and redo the brakes. Not sure what recently was? The drum is scored bad, the edges of the drum are broke away on the edges. There is a six or eight inch piece of the broken drum is missing. you can see the smaller piece in the picture. one shoe was worn down and broken a half separated from the metal I'm guessing that's what got jammed up in there and locked up the wheel! Just GUESSING, WHOEVER DID THE BRAKE JOB, DAMAGE THE EDGE OF THE DRUM WHEN THEY REMOVED IT. After some use the edges cracked and broke off, that's what started the whole thing.
At any rate I sure am glad I found this form. And really appreciate the feedback and the help. There seems to be a lot of that going on here which is definitely a good thing especially for me being a new guy.
Thanks again
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_111540290.jpg
    IMG_20201017_111540290.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 4

bdannels

HotRodCarts:
Wanting to support the forum sponsors, have no idea who any of them are? Need a drum and shoes. Was just going to order them from Amazon. Might as well order from somebody here. Any input would be appreciated!!!
Bill