How to Check if E-Z-GO Textron Total Charger Battery Charger is Working.

Sunblade

Hi All, Just joined:

First post here: I have a 1990 E-Z-GO 36 volt golf cart serial #580435. My problem is that when I plug the charger in, (Textron Total Charger) after using the cart for a while it only shows a small charge rate. I took the batteries home for the winter (Winters here in Michigan are brutal, 5 Degrees this morning.) and charged them up to full capacity. The specific gravity is perfect in all cells. What I would like to know is there a way to check the charger to see if it is working and putting out enough amperage to charge the batteries? Also, if there a way to remove the plug on the charger to clean the contacts? I removed the small screw but cannot get the two halves of the plug separated. Any ideas?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It's possible that the meter on the charger isn't accurate. You can hook a digital volt meter to the battery main positive and negative terminals and monitor it while the batteries are charging. That would show if the batteries are actually charging. A 1990 EZGO should have a SB50 plug on the charger. There should be 4 screws holding the plug together. Welcome to the forum. :hattip: