hooking up a usage meter

kajo

i have a 48volt system and just got my usage meter in..i ordered the gauge with the
red and green charge zone in it not the digital one..
it has 4 lugs on the bac but i have no idea how to hook it up.
can i jump off the ignition? or do i need to jump off the batteries and if so what one?
thanks

dougmcp

There should be 2 studs to attach to the hold down bracket and 2 battery connections. You can use one pos connection through the ignition switch and the other to the neg terminal on the last battery.

kajo

thanks but one more question..what one is the last one, the one on the drivers side or passenger side or it doesn't matter?
dave

dougmcp

The last battery is the one that has the negative cable at the end of the series string that probably goes to the controller.

kajo

ok sorry to be so needy but how and the heck do you get to the
ignition wires..i looked and looked under and all around and that bad boy
is berried behind all kinds of stuff... i tried to unscrew it but it does not want to
pull through the hole..so do i need to start taking all kinds of riveted plastic parts
off or am i missing something?
i promise i am not usually this bad as i am a gear head but my god i cant
see any access holes large enough to work with.
i really need to take this thing apart and put it back together to understand
all the little "things" better..
thanks for helping
dave

Andy4639

If it's a late model you drill the 2 ribets out of the switch plate. Then you splice the wires in. Put the plate back in and use 2 screws cause you will need it off again as soon as you install the ribets!

kajo

cool i just wanted to be sure that i was the best option to start
removing the little boogers where needed.
thanks for taking the time to help
dave

JRay

Cartaholic
To keep it simple go from the gage to main pos. and main neg. They draw very little. MIne has been hooked up that way for years. Saves getting into all that ignition stuff.