HIGH SPEED GEARS

NEVERSATISFIED

HELLO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW THESE HIGH SPEED GEARS WORK? I AM PUTTING THEM IN A NON LIFTED CART AND IS THERE ANY THING ELSE I NEED TO DO TO THE REAR END WHILE IT IS APART? GETTING THEM FROM CARTPARTSPLUS THEY ARE AWESOME PEOPLE.
THANKS FOR LOOKING!

wass1967

How they work? They change the final gear ratio. Stock is 12:1 and depending on what you bought 6:1 or 8:1 will change performance a lot.

Nothing really to do in the rear while apart. Its pretty bullet proof. I think you will be happy with them.

I would definately look into performance springs and machined clutches to help with the power loss.

NEVERSATISFIED

hello i bought the 6-1 ratio gears should i still send out the clutch to get machined and how much power will i lose if i dont send it out thanks for responding john

wass1967

Well, with 6:1 gears, you are going to loose all your take off power and mid range pull. Really bad if you have a passenger you are trying to show off the gears to. Its going to take about 1/2 a mile or more to get it up to full speed and then you are only going to see 3400rpms tops. You can run no governor or limiter. Machined clutches and power springs are going to give you a lot of it back and IO would get the performance kit too. You are really going to need to spend money on this cart to get it close to stock pull. Or just get the 18hp bolt in kit. I don't mean to scare you about what you are going to lose. Just being down right honest.

Here is a senareo I compare my 8:1 gears.

DRAG RACE

my cart 1995 CC
FE350 rebuilt, bored, milled head, reamed jets, high flow K&N filter
heavily machined clutches with power springs in both, 330# of ass on the cart
8:1 HS GEARS

competitor 2002 CC
FE290, stock but fully tweaked by me. Machined clutches with power spring in DRIVE only done by me. 185# of ASS on his cart

THE RACE

Right from the start we were dead even. We stayed side by side for about 30-40 ft. Then I started to pull away slowly for the next 30-40 feet. By then he reached 4400rpms and he backed off. 2 pole length race and I won by about 2 carts.

If it wasn't for the engine, he would of smoked me. I am guessing I went from 11.5hp to about 13-14hp.

If you have a lot of flat ground, I think you will be ok. But the first hill is going to kill you. If it were me, I would send them back and switch to 8:1. You won't loose near as much power. I am afraid you will kill yourself if you ever BIG BLOCK IT. You will be hitting speeds well over 55mph. I think it is scary enough doing over 40mph with no ROPS or seat belts. And I am only hitting 4400-4500rpm safe zone. with 6:1, you will never see 3800rpms not unless you have worn clutches.

I guess what I am saying is...... Start with the driven clutch and have TOM machione it and put a power spring in it. Then get the front one done. Find a place that you can run it. Measure off 330 feet and then 660 feet.(1/16 and 1/8 mile) Do speed runs and time them. This way, each performance mod you do, you will have documented how much it helped. Also do a mile run. Get a tach and go to wall world and pick up the $9.95 Schwinn Speedometer. To program the speedometer to your tire is mark the tire and floor. Roll the tire 1x and mark the floor. Measure the distance. Do this at least 5x to get it perfect. Take the inches and multiply by 25.4 to get metric. That is the number you put in the speedometer. My cart measured out 56.5 inches. X 25.4 = 1435.1 1435 is the number I programed in. In my 5 measurements I got 57, 56.5, 56.5, 56.25 & 56.75 So I figured 56.5 is a good average and when multiplied out is not much of a metric difference. Considering when I had the 27" tires it was in the 1700's LOL

Sorry for going on and on (I do that a lot) in person I am quiet believe that? If you want to discuss further, PM me your number and a "best time" to call and I will try and call you.

I hope you are not disapointed too bad.

NEVERSATISFIED

hello,thanks for responding! first of all i have some hills in the campground not huge hills but some hills plus the kids are on the cart all the time!! ages 4 5 7 14 what do you think i should do send them back get the 8-1 ratio and machine the clutches and add the spring too it if i do that how fast would it go?? i talked to tom before i ordered these 6-1 gear ratio and he said i would not loose that much power everybody has a diffrent opinion lol.what i am looking for is the best senerio on this i am not putting a bigger motor in it because this motor(stock has 155 ft pounds when i did a compression test so its almost perfect ! also its a family campground alot of stop+go talk+chat crap with other campers lol, what i am trying to get is about 30-35 mph out of my cart i do security in the campground and need to catch up with the the teenagers on there carts when i need too !!! please let me know would like to chat on the phone about this please give me a call when you get a chance 603-566-7762 thanks john.... send me your e-mail and i will send some pics of the cart thanks john ! have a good day talk to ya soon!

wass1967

Its your choice. I personally would go with the 8:1 gears. And machined clutches. But thats because that is what I am running. But I also have a bigger engine. But with the bigger engine I still would not that tall of gear. How are you going to catch someone if it takes you more than 1/2 mile to get to 35? They could of made 3 turns and lost you. With Machined clutches and power springs, I think you will almost gain back your loss.
It will put your engine at higher rpms while gaining speed.

6:1 gears is 1/2 what you have now. Think about it. When your running 4000 rpms, you will be running 2000rpms. A cart has no power at low rpms. I doubt if you will even see 3500rpms ever. And that is the power band it runs best at.

Me out of the hole jumps to 3400-3600 and holds there for a long while as it builds its speed. and maxes out at 4500rpm. Mine has more power to reach that rpm. A stock 290 may not have the balls to reach 4000rpms. Definately not with 6:1.

NEVERSATISFIED

hello, thanks so i should go with 8-1 gear ratio along with sending both clutches to tom at cart parts plus to have machined ? also what else do you recomend can i get 35 mph somehow without doing the gears please let me know asap because i got the gears yesterday from dhl so i will send them back and get the 8-1 gears can you describe what else i can do to get a faster cart without changing the motor? thanks for your time i appriciate it alot..have a good day john..

GMCWAYNE

If you send your clutches to Tom, he'll put the springs in for you. That would save a little on shipping and then you wouldn't have to take the clutches apart yourself. I think Wass is only running the power spring in the drive clutch. That spring allows you to start the cart and idle without the clutch engaging until you rev the motor, giving you better take off power with the higher rpms. The spring in the driven will give you more torque for hill climbing but will rob speed on the top end. Having the clutches machined would be the main thing to do to add speed, because it will allow belt to run further out in the drive clutch and further in in the driven. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to do all of the above except maybe not the driven spring. I just don't want to wait for the turn around on shipping with this being cart season and all. We'll see.

wass1967

Actually I am running the power spring in both now. That is why my RPMS are up higher when topping out. I was barely getting past 4000rpms and I think I needed the little extra.

Before you do anything with your Drive clutch, it may be better for you if you leave it with the belt not coming to the top of the clutch. Yes it gains higher speeds at lesser rpms. But your gears will do that. Your drive clutch will give you more power as is. When I did my experiments.... Ah heck. I am going to try your phone. I am tired of typing.

EDIT:
No answer.
Start by getting your gears in and running and we will go from there. Next would be machining the DRIVEN with the power spring. After that, maybe consider the drive clutch. I would put the power spring in it. Maybe not machining.