High Performance Parts for E-Z-GO Engine

Zman

Cartaholic
Are there high performance speed parts or has anyone tried to soup up a robin 2 cylinder engine used in E-Z-GO golf carts? Or is it easier to purchase a v twin Honda engine and do a conversion?

Well you can do some things with the clutches and belt. You can put in a bigger jet in the carb or replace with a 350 carb, modify or replace the air filter assembly. Some have modified the exhaust.
Maybe Nubs can chime in about cams and heads etc. but I think you start to get into some real money.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
kinda hard to answer, all depends what your gonna do with the cart. wheel size, gearing, top speed, etc. it all cost money, Honda or Briggs v twins are a grand or more. different drive clutch, engine cradle, exhaust all adds up quick. can you do the engine work yourself? more and more campgrounds are not lettin' the v twins in anymore :dazed: one can get 16hp out of a 295 with the right parts for about 800.00 if you the work and around 1500.00 for a complete bolt in deal.

Hey Nubs,
I have been doing some experimenting with an old clutch and I can fit one of the small springs I got from you inside a stock spring and compress with a threaded rod. I don't have my cart at home but I'm thinking of trying it. Any thoughts?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
yes i've done that, i like the deal cuz ya get your added pressure and the stock spring will still give ya the preload on the ramp cam :twocents:

Zman

Cartaholic
Have a spare 295cc here for my rental fleet. Just thinking about maybe drag racing. I can do engine work here , how about portin an polishin? A cam that the crank can handle. I can change carb and fab a header pipe. I can also play with the clutches. What is the max rpm i attain before pistons and rods start changing holes? Projects like this turn my crank so to speak , guess an old guy can still think young! :thumbsup:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i run MSD boxes on my stuff, mikuni carburetors are all over, I been doin' a lot of messing around with these and not lookin' to give it up quite yet. just sayin' theres guys out there doin' it.

Zman

Cartaholic
Thanks Nubs, I'll check out the site. Do you port and polish your heads for flow or is that over kill and is there a high rev cam available?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
a fair amount can be had by opening the intake and going to a 30mm or larger carb. were working on a cam but more test time is needed. this is for a methanol setup but ya get the idea.

we have billet rods also but there only offered in complete engines at this time.

billetvsstock1.jpg

Zman

Cartaholic
So, A complete motor with this set up , carb , rods etc is around 1500.00? That's exchange ? freight to Colorado? Does this motor need much back pressure or an expansion chamber for power band or can i build a straight pipe exhaust or header?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
thats with your core, it ships UPS crated with a return label and picked up at your door for 100.00 extra. there complete and ready to bolt in with msd ignition and two wire hook up. throttle hooks straight to the pedal so no governor and you will need to make your own header, good for 6000 rpms with current cam profile. you can get into a 16hp briggs v twin for around the same money but you would need to by the cradle to install it. the briggs here have the same taper on the PTO as the ez go so you could reuse your factory drive clutch. the briggs & Stratton vanguard can go up over 40hp but its a lot more money :yes: a lot of options out there :twocents: