Help with Big Block Conversion

Poolman

Hello All,
I am new to the forum and need some help...
A little about me, I have been messing around with golf carts for about fifteen years or so and doing most fab work myself. I have lifted a few and have done a engine swap on my 95' Medalist.

So I am ready to pull that engine that I put in last News Years Day (9 hp stock motor). I built a Copy of my 95' that I turned into a cart trailer. The problem is the 9 hp just does not have enough power to climb the hills pulling the trailer with four adults and party supplies.

So here is the Skinny........
I purchased a Honda 24 hp V-Twin GX 670,(used $550) I know I can get a new engine cradle from CPP.
But what does everyone recommend when it comes to a pipe and clutch??? Shaft is 1 1/8" on the Honda, so could I use the stock clutch???

Wiring.........
The motor has a starter so that kind of a no brainer.
However I have Two Gray Wires by the starter.
One Black Wire with Red Stripe
One Black Wire with Yellow Stripe
I do pretty good at reading schematics, however pictures and a hand drawing are worth a million words. If someone knows how to integrate some of the existing electronics/wiring to the Honda that would be great.
I know that the gas pedal start will go away which if fine.

The guy I purchased from had a few of theses and one out of his wife's cart but his wiring was a hack job and the pictures I took do not help. He did not do the conversion.

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
James "Poolman" Henry

Poolman

Update

I have to say I do not know what happened to all the talent on this site, seems like there was some sort of pissing contest and everyone disappeared.

Anyway maybe this info will help others...
I found a company "Western Mower & Engine" in Poway Ca. and he looked up the GX670 and ordered the ignition switch, wire harness and the rectifier. $295 later and I fired her up on my work bench.

Honda has no tech support, you must call a dealer/distributor to get parts. Yes there was some internet sites that were a little cheaper ,however none had all three parts I needed. Plus I always try to buy from a local company even if I pay .

Now saving for the cpp09 clutch and engine mount from CPP...could weld my own but I like their price and I do not have to measure everything up to build.

Thanks to the 90+ that have looked at this post happy carting.

James Poolman Henry

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
rotflmao.gif

Pissing contest for sure
thumbup.gif
but everybody is happy now so there ya have it
tip.gif

This is that cradle from CCP and the GX series Honda with the pedal start and stock clutch so it can be done without much work. Allsport's MFG makes the cradle and may even sell it to You @ there website, I'd call them and save yourself some money
twocents.gif
Sorry for adding the paper with todays date but Gornoman and COPB many times question some Members and there abilty to do this work and er' help with Tech support, or even question weather er' not the Members are even real..
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
I'm sure they will be along shortly and give You some advise on Your cart.
Good luck with Your project and post some pictures if You have time
tip.gif
usaflag1.gif
twocents.gif

Poolman

Hello Nubs,

Thanks For The Reply!!

I have read a lot of your stuff on this forum before I decided to start modifying my cart bigger,
as for Gornoman and COPB they have contributed a lot of great stuff as well. I weld, modify carts, and make as much as I can for my carts myself with the help of my 14 year old son.
I am a swimming Pool Contractor and it makes me crazy to see what a lot of people in my trade will tell people on forums that may not have the skills to do what they are asking info about.
wallbash.gif
So I understand if people on any forum are a little apprehensive to just through out info.
I feel if someone is asking then it is not for me to judge them, I just hope that if they do not know what they are doing they will find a professional in there area for help....and that's what I did with my electrical stuff with the guy in Poway Ca.

So back to the fun stuff of carting....
cool.gif

Could you tell me how the stock clutch works on that gx shaft. My GX670 has a 1 1/8 shaft and is straight and the ezgo is tappered.
Did you have it machined??
Also what about the keyway??

I will call Allsports as I did not see an engine cradle on their site.

What do you recommend for a Pipe??

Thanks again Nubs I really appreciate all your help.

How do I down load pics to this site???
Poolman
usaflag1.gif

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I think for what Your doin' I'd just buy a 1-1/8 clutch, CCP sells a Team Industry's unit but there 400.00. Your stock clutch would sell for 125.00 if its in good shape, I know someone that has a new 1-1/8 Team clutch that I can get for 350.00. I would knock off a 100.00 for Your stock unit if its nice yet?

load Your pictures to Photobucket and post them from there, its free