Help needed, ex-wife ruined cart

bentarm13

Hello all!!

I am new here and will keep it short. My ex-wife left my late 90's ez-go electric outside for 8 months. Got it back and it was not running. I installed new (used) 6v batteries and now it runs. My problems:
1. It has a stereo that worked, but now does not. The speakers are good, I bought a new deck and I have power to it. I just do not think I am getting enough power to it, the deck lights up but I get no displays, controls or power to the CD player.
2. There are headlights but they are VERY dim, even after charging.

Do I have the batteries wired wrong and if so, is there a diagram for the battery cables? Could it be the battery I have all of the accessories hooked to? When I hook the charger up, I get no extra power to the lights or stereo.

Thanks in advance and great site!!

gornoman

bentarm13, Welcome to the FORUMS!!!

I can see your problem from Chicago! I will bet you have your 12vdc items wired across a single 6vdc battery. You need to use 2 batteries (6v each) to make up the 12v for your lights and stereo.

Got a multimeter? If not, spend $10 and get one. They are indespensible on these sparky carts.
biggrin.gif

bentarm13

So your saying I need to split my battery wire from the stereo into 2 wires and connect to 2 batteries with the splice, same with the lights?? I will try it and get back to you.
THANKS!!!

by the by, the old stereo was only hooked up to one battery as were the lights, maybe the new (used) batteries are not quite as strong.

I can't hook the positive and negatives from a device to the same battery correct?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

You need to hook positive to one battery and negative to the battery that's hooked to the one you hooked positive to. I hope that made sense. Or you can also use a 12 volt battery to run all your accessories off of. Also like gorno said you should get yourself a multi-meter.

Andy4639

This is what you need to do. You can leave the extra 12 volt battery out of it and hook the radio up to the battery pack

Fairlane

Excellent diagram Andy. He should get it from here. I could draw him one for the ex but it would probably be censored!!!!
tongue.gif

Glen

bentarm13

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, Now I see. Thank you all for the advice and help. Good thing I was working at the FD when I posted the question or I would have run right out into the garage and strated splicing!! i am sure I will have more questions, I promise to search first.
biggthumpup.gif

Andy4639

Gornoman,
Is that aliumnuim foil I see in your picture of the batteries? Can you explain what it's purpose is for me.

gornoman

Yes, it's foil. I tried making some down reflectors for the neon. It worked great except they tended to fly off and disappear. Oh well.

Andy4639

OK that's kool. I thought you had it in for the batteries. Try some small peices of Aluiminum to fit inside the battery tray's. I even thought abourt a sheet of it to cover the whole bottom of the 89 Ezgo back when I had it. You should beable to buy a peice of it cheap at a air, heating shop.

bailes

thumbup.gif
another way would to put a 12v battery if you room in your cart and use it for your radio...that's what i did and it works great
jump.gif

scubasteve

Andy - This is a great diagram but there is just one question I have...Why is the 12 volt battery even connected to the other batteries? I am planning to use a 12 volt battery to run the extras, but it was going to be completely independent.

I also don't understand how/why the charger only see's 36 volts. Being new to this stuff, my logic may not be.....logical. But this looks like a 48 volt setup. Wouldn't this cause some problems?

gornoman

I can help! What Andy has done is install a seperate 12v battery for ALL of his 12v items. It is charged seperately with a 12v charger. His cart configuration is still 36v. He has added a switched bridge circuit from the pack to the 12v battery. This is a parrallel connection of 12v to 12v. The application has two benefits:
1. If he is out at night and his 12v battery starts to die (causing his lights to fail) he can engage the switch and draw 12v from the pack to light his way home.
2. If he is out during the day and his pack starts to deplete he can engage the switch and draw 12v from the extra battery to the pack and try to make his way home.
The switch is normally left open (off).
Hope this helps.