HELP.......Brakes are POSSESSED........

hparm

HELP my cart is possessed................We just started our vacation and something is bad wrong with brakes?......... 03 IQ ds......occasionally when applying the brakes it seems the rear tires momentarily lock up, the brake pedal jumps up and hits your foot........Other times brakes feel normal...............I did try to adjust by going backwards and slamming on brakes, and that seemed to help but only temporarily..........It does not seem to matter if you brake easy or hard, or how fast you are going.......Please any advice would be appreciated...............hparm

hparm

Cart was lifted 6" last year, never had any other problem. How could loose u bolts cause this? I will check them...Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the u-bolts are loose the rear end will twist when the brakes are applied and pull on the cables. It can cause the exact problem your having.

hparm

U bolts were fairly tight, extra tighten seems to be bending metal brackets.......I don't think axel is twisting (pin in bracket holds it in place)...........I did loosen up cables, now pedal is lower and the locking problem is gone. Maybe brakes were too tight?..........I looked at shoes and springs all look worn but no metal to metal..........When I get home do you think new brake shoes would help?...................Thanks, for your help

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The axle will move a little if the bolts weren't tight. After a lift it only takes a little movement to cause the brakes to lock up, It's a pretty common problem on the Club Cars that are lifted. But anyway that wasn't your problem. The problem is the cables are a little to short due to the lift. By adjusting the cable you compensated for it. If you take the cables out of the hangers under the cart that usually helps. If the brakes are working good you should be fine.

Weak springs or worn spring bushings can also cause the problem if the cables are to short.

hparm

Hey HotRod............Thanks for the help............Vacation is going well...........When I get cart home I am thinking of heavier springs, longer cables, new shoes.........Don't want this problem again..............Thanks again, I owe you one..................Cheers, hparm

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem, you're welcome.
biggrin.gif

Bocachris

He’ll I have the same problem how do I check u bolts and how do I tighten the I had a 6” lift installed with a friends help