Help! 2 cycle will not crank!

darrell

Have an '86 Ez-go 2 stroke, will not crank. Have no fire coming from two small wires coming out of the coil. Any suggestions? I am new to this forum and don't know a lot about golf carts.
Thanks,
Darrell

shadowman

you say its not cranking over?? if so jack the rear up and jump large post on soleniod to see if that makes her crank.....if new solenoid............or is it cranking over and theres just no spark?? ..........................................
thumbup.gif

darrell

Maybe I worded this wrong. It is turning over and getting gas but there is NO SPARK at the plug (have changed the plug) and no power coming from the coil (small two wires). Is there any way to check the coil to see if it is bad?

Thanks for any help!
Darrell

wslonger

My '84 just started doing the same thing yesterday, I believe mine is the switch at the throttle linkage. Just too darn hot and humid to work on it today.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome
tip.gif

you can run a jumper wire from the + on the battery to + on the coil, if theres spark then the problem is likely in the key, wiring or micro switch.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
not always! you need to confirm there is power to the coil first, check it with a meter or test light.

darrell

Nubs,
Checked it with a meter to begin with.....there is NO POWER at the coil. So I guess my question is if there is definitely no power at the coil should I start by replacing the coil or could there be any number of other causes that would make there be no power at the coil?

darrell

Nubs,
I did not mention that the cart was running and quit suddenly. I checked the fire at the plug with a tester and there was no fire at the plug so I changed it but it didn't solve the problem. Also tested the two small wires coming from the coil as I tried to crank it. There is no fire there either. I don't have the wiring diagram and am sort of in the dark here as to which was is best to solve this problem. Thanks so much for helping me.
Darrell

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i would run a jumper wire from the battary to the + side of the coil and see if it fires, if it runs we can back track from there

darrell

Nubs, thanks for sticking in here with me! There are two wires from the coil but they are NOT MARKED positive or neg. How can I know which is which? One is green and appears to go to the cylinoid switch. The other is orange and goes to a small black box below the cylinoid switch. Without wiring diagram I have no idea which is the hot one.

Darrell

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the one that goes to the solenoid, if that doesn't work then the coil would be the cheapest thing to try next after you check all the grounds, connections etc, and make sure there are no breaks in the wiring.

the ignitor can also be bad, it may take some time to track it down without chuckin' money at it

racerjim0

I think he has you on track. The little box is part of the electronic ignition and will have a wire going to the engine also. If you have 12 volt going to the + side of the coil but no spark, its either the coil or the ignition. The wires on my '82 coil were a permanent part of the coil and were broken right at the coil. I was able to solder a new wire to the nub and got it working. You might be able to take a test light and put on the pulse wire and turn the motor over and see if you get a flashing light. It may be real faint.

darrell

Nubs,
I tested the wire to the cylinoid switch (it plugs together about half way from the coil to the cylinoid so I unpluged there and tested positive from the battery) and got sparks so there is power from the battery to the cylinoid. Now what do you suggest?

Darrell

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well if you have 12v to the coil and your sure the engine is grounded to the frame most likely the coil or your ignitor is bad. but there is always the chance there is broken a wire some were, hard to tell from here.. Sorry
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

if your sure the wiring and connectors / spark plug wire are good? then you need to start replacing parts. the coil is the cheapest to try, i will look to see if i have a wiring diagram.

racerjim0

You can ohm out the coil.
Primary- resistance between the orange and green wires(12 v and pulse)should be2.88-4.32
Secondary-resistance between the orange wire and the high tension coil wire should be 9.36K-14.04K per manual

darrell

Racer Jim and Nubs,

Thanks for the help! I ohmed out the wires like you said. Between the orange and green there is zero reading! between the orange and high tension wire to coil is 13.13.

Exactly what does that tell us?
unsure.gif

thanks,
Darrell

ftfixer

tip.gif
had the same problem with my 95 ez the ground wire on the ignitor was broken but just barely hanging by 1 small wire strand. check the things these guys have discussed first the ignitor will cost you a few bucks.
twocents.gif