Having Trouble Getting Yamaha G1 To Start

WANDU

We have went thru our Yamaha G1 and replaced about everything. Now we are having trouble with getting it to start. It has good compression and spark, getting gas, can't figure out why it won't start. Anyone got any suggestions. The boys are threatening to have a yamaha roast. have been working on this cart for over a month. new starter/generator, new carb, new wiring, new airbox, new just about everything, it is old and we have alot of cash sunk in it, would like to run for awhile without anything else happening. if anyone has any ideas, we would love to hear them.

rolypolyman

Cartaholic Newbie here! :hattip:

A friend has turned me on to his old Yamaha G1 as a freebee. Has basicly the same symptoms as WANDU. So, I'd like to know if WANDU found a resolution to their Yamaha G1. Can someone advise me as to what year or make is located. Have not found any info like that on the cart yet.

I did try some carb cleaner in the intake tube while starting it and it did try to run. So I am going to first try a new plug and fresh gas today. I expected to spend a minimum of 1200 on obtaining a cart, so if I can get this cart going. I see a 6 inch lift with 23 inch tall tires in the very near future. Since getting this cart I have searched all the stuff available for carts,,,,,,,,,,and I am friggin STOKED! :thumbsup:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics... :hattip:

Yamaha G1 serial numbers are under the rear bumper stamped into the square cross member of the frame. Post the serial number and we can tell you the year.

I know that the crank seals are a very known problem with Yamaha G1 golf carts. With them being blown out you wont get the comp you need to run your cart. Just an idea!! Oh yeah... Welcome to the forum!! :usa:

rolypolyman

Looked at the cross member, covered with lots of rust and dirt. Cleaned with steel wool and could not find any signs of numbers ever being there. It looked to be the original tube, but did seem to be full of gorilla welds. So not sure, but will continue searching in that area.

I inspected between the clutch and crankcase and it did seem to be excessively oily. With a compression tester plugged in, while turning over. The gauge read what looked to be 25 lb bursts. Would max at 100 lbs, I believe the gauge is cumalative. Ok, I dont spell so good! I did this a couple of times and it was the same,,25,,,50 a 100. I guess this means a tear down. Could be why it was a freebee.

I May have to wait until after doing the Super Dutys ball joints, the GMC's leaky water pump gaskets, pre season race car prep and the poop extractor for the bathroom. May have to rearrange the order abit. Jeez I wished my ol lady was a mechanic instead of a waitress. Course I'd sure miss them free plate lunch's

I see a Yamaha G1 manual in my immeidiate future. Thanks for the help fellas

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
They can be hard to read and sometimes you can't read them at all.

Could the cart be a G2? Look under the seat where the floorboard meets the engine compartment and see if there's a serial number there.

rolypolyman

It is a G1 based on all the pics I have looked at on the net. It has the single bolt through the center of the clutch on the engine. Looks like a notch job for a lift kit to work. Also looks like the brake cable will need to be longer. Would like to have the fold down rear seat. I believe I could build a eco-skelton out of 3/4 to 1 inch sqr tubing to allow the clam shell to open and give me something to mount tubes that will allow for the rear flip to be pinned in place but lifted off to flip the shell for maintenance axcess. All that weight will have to have stronger springs. I have seen the springs for G2 up, but not the G1. Does that mean replacing the G1 rear shocks with G2 or newer? My other question is since I have yet to find serial number, just knowing it is a G1 and has the single bolt clutch,,,is that enough to go by in order to purchase engine repair parts?

I did take pics of the cart for later posting when I get to tackle this project. Have those basic transportation projects to tackle first.

aubmis

My brother in law purchased a Yamaha G1 golf cart last year and it wouldnt run. We rebuilt the top end and replaced the crank seals in the engine ourselves, it was really easy, if you can turn a wrench you can do it. I think it was 150-200 bucks and ran like a champ after that. Everything came in one kit.

gmforlife

Well from my experience just recently tearing completely apart a friends G1 that the fuel pumps are very hard to get to, you have to pull the motor, which IMO isn't a huge ordeal. They are powered by the crankcase vacuum pressure and is very simple, but at the same time if it is worn out it's not going to get the correct amount of fuel to the carb, even though you have a new carb it wouldn't do you any good if you aren't getting fuel to it. And from being on this forum and talking to my buddy who has this cart a lot of people don't replace the fuel pump, slips their mind. I know you mentioned that you replaced just about everything but just wanted to suggest fuel pump, they are only 20-30 bucks, lvssales.com is where I got my parts, pretty decent prices.