Having Problems After Converting a Yamaha YDRE to RELiON Lithium Batteries

Hookem0442

I have a 2007 Yamaha YDRE, 48v and having problems after converting to Lithium batteries. My batteries were beginning to go out, so I converted to lithium. I bought 3 RELiON batteries and installed as instructed.

problem 1:
After installation, there was an immediate loud beep (like if the cart was in reverse). It beeps in forward, and slightly louder in reverse.

I took the cart for about a 1/4 mile ride with the beeping. It drove better-faster than it ever has. I brought the cart home and put it on the charger for about two hours.

Problem 2
I took the cart off the charger and tried to drive it. It will not go anywhere. No click, no movement.
The lights work, the batteries are at a full charge.
I tested the solenoid with a voltmeter and the accelerator pressed down. DC volts stay at zero, so I assume it is fine. Any ideas?? My wife is gonna kill me after this $3,500 battery purchase. Lol.
The cart still ran fine before I converted to lithium, it just wouldn’t last long. Batteries were 4 years old.

Attachments

• 77725D69-EFE7-4A28-9A65-146ACDE5A123.jpeg
    77725D69-EFE7-4A28-9A65-146ACDE5A123.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4ACCB442-747B-4964-96A8-832301B42BB3.jpeg
    4ACCB442-747B-4964-96A8-832301B42BB3.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 7
  • E9789B2B-4647-4ED4-848D-75AEF6B1450A.jpeg
    E9789B2B-4647-4ED4-848D-75AEF6B1450A.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
  • D8782470-3E8D-4BD9-867C-DD2C44182AE7.jpeg
    D8782470-3E8D-4BD9-867C-DD2C44182AE7.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 7

Zman

Cartaholic
So , first problem i see is those darn automotive cables, What is the pack voltage? When you installed everything did you flip the tow /run switch to tow? If you flip the switch to tow and back to run will you get a reverse beeper? With key on and pedal pushed to floor do you get 48 volts to the red/white small wire on solenoid?
Give all these answers please and get back to me.

Hookem0442

So , first problem i see is those darn automotive cables, What is the pack voltage? When you installed everything did you flip the tow /run switch to tow? If you flip the switch to tow and back to run will you get a reverse beeper? With key on and pedal pushed to floor do you get 48 volts to the red/white small wire on solenoid?
Give all these answers please and get back to me.
Thanks for the reply.

I am getting 53.2 volts on each of the 3 Lithium batteries.
I am pretty sure I flipped the tow/run switch to tow when I installed but not 100%.
When I switch to tow, the beeper goes away, but comes right back when I flip to run.

With the key on and pedal pushed to the floor, I get 53.1v on the small red/white wire.
(just to verify I did this correct, I tested red with positive cable on voltmeter to red/white on solenoid and black to neg on battery).

Thanks for the help here.

Zman

Cartaholic
You may have fried the controller. Test the small black wire on solenoid with pedal depressed , It should have 53 volts with pedal up and 0 to near 0 volts pedal depressed. If no voltage solenoid is bad, but that doesn't explain the beeping.

Hookem0442

Ok, with the cart in tow, I get 52 volts on the small black wire with both pedal up and down).
With cart in run I get 0.5v, both pedal up and down.

Zman

Cartaholic
Does the solenoid click on the second you turn on the Key? If not , turn key off and release brake, push cart and listen for solenoid to click on and controller will try to stop cart from rolling, also your reverse beeper should beep. This will tell me the controller is working the solenoid circuit, and speed sensor is okay.
If the solenoid clicks the second key is turned on black wire is shorted or controller is bad. Did you have the positive cable off the solenoid? is it touching the small black wire in solenoid?

Hookem0442

Does the solenoid click on the second you turn on the Key? If not , turn key off and release brake, push cart and listen for solenoid to click on and controller will try to stop cart from rolling, also your reverse beeper should beep. This will tell me the controller is working the solenoid circuit, and speed sensor is okay.
If the solenoid clicks the second key is turned on black wire is shorted or controller is bad. Did you have the positive cable off the solenoid? is it touching the small black wire
Solenoid does not click when I turn the key on.
When I push the cart with the key off, it does not click, nor does it try to stop. It rolls freely with the cart in run. The reverse beeper is constantly beeping, as long as it is not in tow.

I removed the positive cable from the solenoid and now get 48v to the black wire on the solenoid.

Zman

Cartaholic
First thing to do is get solenoid working, Common problems are F&R switch failure, Tow /Run switch failure which seems to work so you can rule it out. Key switch not working, broken wire or a mouse problem. So first thing is trace out red wire from tow/run and find the inline fuse and make sure it is okay, Next check for 48 volts out of key switch or pull drivers side floor mat up and remove cover to test r/w wire to start stop switch for 48 volts. next check brown wire out of start stop switch for 48 volts with pedal down , Next check R/W wire at F&R switch for 48 volts, then white wire for 48 volts in reverse and yellow wire for 48 volts in FWD. If you cannot check these items you will need to take to a golf car dealer for repair. Please note that the fact the beeper stays on and cart does not run , tells me controller has a problem.

Hookem0442

Thanks zman. I have checked all of the above and they are all getting between 48-51 volts. I ordered a new controller (Navitas600). It should be in tomorrow. Fingers crossed...