Harley Golf Cart Starts Randomly

Wildbanshee90

I have an older Harley golf cart I just bought. With key off or on. If you put it in forward or reverse it spins the engine over. It doesn't start but the engine cranks.

I'm unsure what it could be. The solenoid has power on the opposite side of the power. I wasn't sure if it should be constant or if it's triggered by the pedal.

Any ideas???

Floyd Hoffman

I just saw your post from over two years ago about your Harley cart starting with the shifter lever in forward or reverse. My 1973 model is having the some problem. Did you ever find out what the issue was? Please feel free to call/text me (Floyd) at 636-795-9232.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Have You checked to see if Your solenoid is stuck? it is a fairly common problem with those carts :twocents:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Remove the the wire from the starter switch to the solenoid, if the starter still runs when you connect the battery its stuck. If it is, more than likely the points are burn also. Did you replace the solenoid with a golf cart/100% duty cycle replacement?

Floyd Hoffman

I'll have to check tomorrow. I failed to mention that when the engine is cranking without the key on that I am not getting any spark at the spark plug or the points. Is that because the key is not on? Also, the new solenoid that I put in was from an auto parts store. I took my old one in and the parts guy matched it up with what he said was the same thing. Where do you suggest that I get a golf cart /100% duty cycle solenoid?