Harley Davidson Golf Cart Does Nothing When I Press the Gas Pedal

scot91

Hi there guys!! Im new to the forum and hopegully someone can help me out. I have a 3 wheel harley davidson gas powered golf cart. I dont know the year of it but here is the serial number just incase if that will help a little more 3B 17606/J2. Ok here is what i need help with. When i press the gas pedal it doesnt do anything. So i took a light tester and put it on the gas pedal switch and im not getting anything there. So i took the wires off from the gas pedal switch and put the wires together and still didnt do anything. I cant get it to do anything i checked all the grounds and everything i just dont have a clue what it can be. Now this golf cart has the key for the forward & reverse between the 2 seats. Thats the only key/switch on this. It has a good battery on it so it cant be the battery. Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram on the internet? If anyone can help me out on this golfcart that will be great thanks Guys!!

oddpowers

Cartaholic
It appears to be an 1982. I haven't lookedbut Rod may have a diagram in the resource section.
Does the relay click at all? Did the two wires spark at all when you put them together?(even just a little spark) If not most likely the prob is in the key switch, a blown fuse, or a loose/broken wire somewhere. There may be a harley guy come by a little late that may be of more help

scot91

No it didnt click at all. And the 2 wires didnt spark at all either. And i replaced the fuse so the fuse is good.

Zman

Cartaholic
Is there power to the key switch? Is there power out of switch in either position? Lets start there.

scot91

Ok i was messing with it lastnight and here is what its doing at this point. When i press the gas pedel something clicks. So i got it that far. What else do i need to check next? Thanks!

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
a louder click or the click from the switch on the pedal? take a jumper cable or heavy wire and put it on the two large posts on the left and right side of the solenoid and see if it turns over. if it does then the solenoid is bad and you'll need to replace it with one made for a golf cart.

scot91

Its wasnt from the switch for the pedal. I think it was the solenoid That clicked. Does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram on here i wanna check to make sure all the wires are in the right place. And also when your sitting on the golf cart and on the right side right beside the battery there is a little box. It hooks to wires up to it the one is to a ground and where does the other hook up? How can i post a pic on here ill get a pic of it and show you what the box im talking about looks like

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i put my pics on photobucket and copy em over. theres a thread here some where that tells ya how to do it otherwise :dazed:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
that box is the voltage regulator, was wired to the solenoid if i remember right. we'll find a wiring diagram but i wouldn't worry about that right now, get the engine running first and ya can go back and deal with it later. it i'll run fine without it, jump the solenoid and see if it spins.

scot91

Ok ya i dont have 1 clue about golf carts thats why i asked wht that box was but ok Im going in the garage in a little bit and jump that like you told me to do. Ill let you know what i figure out thanks agian!

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well if the solinod clicks when ya hit the gas pedal but don't spin then its bad. have you ever had it runnin'?

scot91

The kid i got it from said he had it running awhile ago but the clutch was off and everything he said he rode it so who knows if he did have it running. But i have another cart that i got from him for a parts and there is a solinoid on that do you think i should try that one thats on the parts cart?

scot91

ok i tried that one and still the same thing. the one that was on it looks new. See what i did was i took this motor out of that parts one cause he said he had that motor running and i put it in this red cart. Everything Looks to be hooked up right.

O i forgot when i went back out it doesnt click anymore when i jump the solinoid the motor spins.

And did you find that wiring diagram on here if so where did you find it at on here cause i cant seem to find any diagrams on these forums. i was gunna try to look for a better one also

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well if it was me i would hot wire the thing and see if it runs at all, run a wire from the + side of the coil to the battery and jump the solenoid and see if it fires. without ever hearing it run who knows what shape its in :twocents:

scot91

Good idea! Now when i take the wire from the + side of the coil to the battery is that gunna give me spark? Cause i took the spark plug out when i was rolling the motor oover lastnight and there wasnt any spark. Thanks