Harley Davidson Golf Cart Build - Motorcycle Engine

csf1975

Getting ready to start the Harley Davidson Golf Cart build. I'm going through the motorcycle engine and getting the other parts together for this build.

spriddle

Post Decoder
Are you going to use a 4 wheeler rearend since it is shaft drive? Where or how are you going to make up a drive shaft: what will you use (cut down a 4 wheeler drive shaft)? That cart is going to be dangerously fast.

csf1975

Drive shaft is already made, It will hook right up in to my rear end.. my brakes are also made and readt to be mounted, I still have to rip my battery trays out and drop the motor a few inches, I'll get you a pic of the drive shaft in a few mins..

spriddle

Post Decoder
What about the rearend. Is it a 4 wheeler rearend? Also, how thick is your frame? It looks similar to a Yamaha frame but heavier duty. I would imagine it being older, it is made better. Are you going to have to create something to help brace the frame with this engine? Am I killing you with questions? :D

csf1975

I'm using stock rear end with 5.1 ratio. it's going to be fast. the mounts will be used from the motorcycle frame it will be welded into my frame, it will be set up almost like a car..here are a few pics of the drive shaft which will need to be shortend but the ends will all hook up.. also the braking sytem will work of the drivetrain..

spriddle

Post Decoder
Looks like it will be a good setup. One thing, using shaft drive, you will get immediate take off. With that engine and setup, I would invest in a neck brace, seat belts, and roll cage. :)

Short Circuit

WOW, That is going to be one fast cart!!! I want a ride. Actually, I want to drive !!!
Keep us updated with pictures please.

csf1975

It's going to be real fast I think the rear end may not handle the motor But I am going to try it.. Yeah My fingers are dirty and hand are cut up But that happens when you actully work :yes: this cart was never shaft driven, but it will be soon. I hate messing with belts thats why I got the shaft driven motor... The beanie baby was sitting there watching me work..

spriddle

Post Decoder
Well here is what I can tell about CSF so far. He smokes a lot and drinks miller beer, listens to burnt music cd's while he works in the garage, doesn't have any jack stands, keeps his tools in a duffle bag, rides a bike every once in a while, is about as organized as me, needs to change a bulb in the garage, and likes to play with stuffed animals.

csf1975

LOL I do smoke, Not alot, I just don't empty the ash tray, I do Have a real nice tool box, The duffle bag Is Just has some old tools I keep in it. I drink Budweiser, But that night a neighbor was over, and brought a few millers over. The teddy bear My daughter had and left it there. My jack stands are holding a car up, I have plenty of lighting in the garage, just had them shut off, and yes all my music is on burnt cd's, actully I do go bike riding alot.. Every day I think.

csf1975

My garage is usally clean But right now it's a disaster area. I'm working on the cart plus 2 cars at the same time But I have gotten rid of a bunch of stuff, pool table is gone, But something will take it's place I'm sure.. The cart is at a stand still till all my parts come in , plus I have to go buy a cut-off saw and a few other items.. I want to get the engine running before I mount it in the cart.. Think I may have it done in a few weeks.. I'm really trying to go to the bonanza. But it's not looking good.. I may fly out. I think Nate can Haul the cart for a fee.. so we will see..

spriddle

Post Decoder
I've got top/middle/bottom Matco tool box set, two other top boxes, and a tool storage table plus all kinds of small toolboxes. Most of my tools are all piled up and mixed here and there in old buckets. LMHO!!!!!! :rotflmao: