Guitars

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Any other guitar players out here? I started playing at about 8yrs old. I have several guitars:
1997 Fender Stratocaster, American Standard, Natural Finish
1969 Fender Telecaster, Blonde Finish
1990's Martin D28 re-issue
1974 Martin D35 12 string
1970 Epiphone Acoustic 12 string
1997 Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
1997 Fender Evil Twin
1969 Fender Blackface Twin
19?? Fender Princeton
1974 Ampeg VT-22

Short Circuit

Yep, Ive been playing since I was 10 years old and get together once a week to jam with a few friends. I still have the first guitar my parents bought for me when I was 10, an El Degas guitar that is a copy of a Gibson, the one that Angus Young of AC/DC plays. (the name of that model eludes me right now
unsure.gif
)
I have had the pleasure of playing a 1963 Fender Stat that a friend of mine bought and also a " Waynes World " Strat. Both were amazing guitars to play.
Right now my pride and joy is a Kramer F 1000 guitar with a Floyd Rose Tremolo played through Boss effects pedals to a Peavey Bandit 65 amp.
My daughter who is 12 has been playing piano for 4 years and my son who is 9 1/2 has been playing drums for 2 years.
I would love to play that 1969 Fender Telecaster !!
cool.gif

Mark

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The 69 Tele is my favorite guitar... Back around 1974 I bought a 57 sunburst Strat for $400 from a good friend that I was in a band with. A couple years later I needed money and sold it for $1000. At the time I thought I'll find another one. Every time I think about it I get sick... I told myself after that I would never sell another guitar. I've seen the 57's sell for 10k+ now days. Live and learn I guess... I've sold a few amps throughout the years that I kick myself in the ass over also.

Short Circuit

I have always loved the look of the Tele but never had the chance to play one. It's hard letting go of these things.
I have had offers for the El Degas even though it is not a real expensive guitar and I can't bring my self to sell it. It was my first, ya know !
blink.gif

My friend paid $350 for that old Strat. He didn't realize what he was buying and the seller didn't realize what he was selling. He has been offered $6000 plus a new American made Strat and turned it down.
These things are worse than women!!!!
laugh.gif

Mark

Short Circuit

Thanks HRC,
SG, that's the name. I couldn't remember it before !!!
All the knobs are stock. Each pickup has its own volume and tone controls and there is a 3 position switch that lets you select either pickup or in the middle position both pickups are active.

HRC, I am jealous of the guitars and amps you have !!!
biggrin.gif

Mark

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've never seen an SG set up that way..... Looks very intereseting. I'm sure you can get many different tones with that setup. I like it.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Short Circuit

Yes, that guitar is very versatile. But I like the Kramer better. Eddie Van Halen inspired ! But it works good playng Chuck Berry tunes too.

Mark

csf1975

I started playing when I was around 12, played in a few bands through high school, and after Had a few guitars in my lifetime But I kinda got out of it when I got married and had Kids.. I just sold everything a few years back. and really miss playing, Have been thinking about buying another

csf1975

Oh yeah I had a Gibson Flying- v that I sold for 300 bucks and still kicking my self around for that one...

meltravis

Actually, I'm a bass Player, but I played acoustic guitar for a country artist named Leon Everette (he had 9 gold albums in the late 70's and early 80's). Not very many people remember him, tho' some of us old timers do remember some of his songs, when we hear them. A Guitar player friend of mine, that I worked with in Nashville, got me the job with Leon. Leon called me one day and told me he wanted me to come to SC and sing backup vocals with him, then he said,"I already have a bass player, You're going to play guitar." I told him I didn't play guitar and he said, "Aw, F*** it , you'll learn". I had a great time working with him and the band! (8 pieces, counting me and Leon) I bought a "Godin" thin body acoustic, but leon told me, he'd give me a 50.00 a week raise, if I'd buy a Takamine. Needless to say, I did.

I spent about 30 years on the road, (including 7 yrs in Nashville.) You can see more about it on my website.

Right now I have:
Takamine acoustic/electric
Fender acoustic bass (4 string) (modified to top 4 strings of a 5 string - in other words, starting from the top, B, E, A, D strings minus the bottom G string)
Peavey T-40 bass (4 string)
Fender MB-5 bass (primary bass)

csf1975

Just got myself guitar Will be playing again, it's been about 10-12 years so I need lots of practice....

Short Circuit

2 new guitars came my way in the last little while
My wife bought me a Kramer Focus and a 10 watt Traynor practice amp so I wouldn't have to cart my Peavey to practice all the time an I bought a build your own kit Telecaster.
The headstock on the Tele was a blank so I cut it to the shape of a Strat and painted the guitar metallic copper lacquer with 12 coats of clear lacquer and polished out.
Since our dragster is called "Spoiled Brat" this guitar is known as the "Bratacaster"

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Wow, I like the"Bratacaster"!!! It looks like you did a real nice job on it. The name is cool also
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

What kind of pickups did you use in it?

Short Circuit

For now it just has the pickups that came with the kit. The guitar sounds pretty good for a build you own kit, but eventually I would like to put a pair of Seymour Duncan "Hot Rails" in their place.
I've already upgraded the volume and tone pots to Fender replacements pots.

Mark

csf1975

Wow nice Job.. I'll have to get some pics of My buddy's collection He collects
Gretsch's and old Gibson's, and My favorite of all time is his White Falcon, with a Chet Atkins Signature I have been Playing for about 20 years Myself But Don't even own one Now

Short Circuit

Thanks CSF
Old Gibsons and Gretches are cool guitars.
No Hot rails for this guitar now.
I found a site with GFS pickups, and they are getting great reviews so I thought I would try a pair of their Hot Lead Li'l Punchers.
I was hoping to get them before the weekend, but it doesn't look like I will.

Mark

Short Circuit

The GFS pickups are in the guitar and boy, do they rock !!!!
cool.gif
Lots of sustain but they also clean up nice too.
For $ 49 US for the set, you can't go wrong.

Mark

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've heard nothing but good reviews on the GFS pickups. And for the price you can't beat them from what I've been told.